Graphics glitch with 1.74.2

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

UltraViolence83
Average
Average

Graphics glitch with 1.74.2

Post by UltraViolence83 »

Hello everyone,

I've been playing Oolite since last year and love it. However, I recently got another laptop here and something is wrong.

When I run 74.2, the backgrounds, missile icons, and parts of the HUD will disappear whenever I have an object in my view. Planets, stations, some larger ships, etc. all do this. I tried the clearskiesOXP but it didn't even remove the background at all. I have an Intel Extreme Graphics on Mobile card in a Gateway. Sorry, I'm not really that up to date on laptop hardware...Been out of the loop for several years.

Does anyone have any idea of why this is happening? When I run 1.65 I have no problems whatsoever.

Thank you for any responses.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Can you please post the Latest.log file? You should be able to locate it from the Start menu, inside the Oolite group shortcuts.
UltraViolence83
Average
Average

I have no log files. Should I run the game for a minute and then send it?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Yes, just start it up, launch, re-dock, then you should have a Latest.log file which will hopefully contain enough information to troubleshoot.
UltraViolence83
Average
Average

Ok here it is:

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2010-09-18 03:59:36 -0400.
2 processors detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1024 x 768
[dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted Mode - Resources paths:
Resources
../AddOns
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.3.0 ("1.3.0 - Build 4.14.10.3619")
Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Intel Montara-GM
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (33):
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_packed_pixels_12, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_cull_vertex, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
[shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts:
oolite-cloaking-device 1.74.2
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.74.2
oolite-nova 1.74.2
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.74.2
oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
[gnustep]: 2010-09-18 04:00:10.343 oolite[2984] Defaults path 'E:\Documents and Settings/Steven Leasure/Desktop/Oolite/1.74.2/oolite.app/GNUstep/Defaults' did not exist - created it

[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2010-09-18 04:00:10 -0400.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

The problem is with your graphics card. It only supports OpenGL version 1.3.0, which is quite bad. Mine's almost as bad at v1.5.0., and I get the same graphical glitches as you.

For better graphics (shaders etc) you need a card that supports at least OpenGL 2.0.0, unfortunately most laptops can't be upgraded.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
UltraViolence83
Average
Average

Ah that's too bad. Thanks for the help.

Are any older versions, aside from 1.65 available? I believe I had the same card in my last laptop and the previous test version had no glitches.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

UltraViolence83 wrote:
Are any older versions, aside from 1.65 available? I believe I had the same card in my last laptop and the previous test version had no glitches.
Unfortunately not, unless someone has the install program, for say v1.73.4, on their harddrive that they can send you.

Should add that if you were to do this, most OXPs wouldn't work as they have been upgraded to work with the latest version.

Do you still have your old laptop? If so, you could play on there or even copy your Oolite install over?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

My Desktop also uses an Intel Graphics accelerator and seems to work OK.

Code: Select all

[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.4.0 ("1.4 Mesa 7.7.1")
Vendor: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33 GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (104):
It does support a higher version of OpenGL than yours, however (1.4), although JazHaz's sounds better still, but I don't experience any of these problems. The only limitations I've found are an inability to handle lots of large textures (although it's quite happy with the SD version of my Shipset using 1024x1024px textures) and of course there is no shader support.
This is probably no help at all. :?

Also, welcome to the Board, reputed to be the friendliest this side of Riedquat. Good to have you with us.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

To ask the more obvious question - are the graphics drivers on your laptop up to date? If not then try that before anything else...
UltraViolence83
Average
Average

My laptop broke beyond reasonable repair, and then was stolen. Suckers.

:twisted:

Also, welcome to the Board, reputed to be the friendliest this side of Riedquat. Good to have you with us.
Thanks. I've lurked occasionally for the past year or so, just now getting onboard.

I miss my old savegame with my Python. :(
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

UltraViolence83 wrote:
Ah that's too bad. Thanks for the help.

You might want to look at the page with the material test suite and run that oxp. An old driver by itself should not be a problem. Oolite tries to anticipate for this, but not all cards are known. I think some of the developers might be interested if this really is a card problem. Than they can fix it or give a clear message that the card is no longer supported.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

The problem with the drivers is not that they support OpenGL v1.3.0, but that they support OpenGL v1.3.0 badly. You certainly don't need OGL 2.0.0 to play Oolite with nice graphics. Cards with OGL 1.5.0 (probably even earlier) can still have shaders support with the aid of OpenGL extensions.

Thargoid's advice is valid, you should try upgrading to latest drivers. I saw dramatic improvement (plus shaders support) when I upgraded my Intel card's drivers to their latest version. Certainly worth a try.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Smivs wrote:
My Desktop also uses an Intel Graphics accelerator and seems to work OK.

[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.4.0 ("1.4 Mesa 7.7.1")
Vendor: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33 GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (104):
It does support a higher version of OpenGL than yours, however (1.4), although JazHaz's sounds better still, but I don't experience any of these problems.
Mine might support a higher OpenGL than you, but it supports less extensions, so is probably worse!

[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.5.0 ("1.5.0")
Vendor: SiS
Renderer: Mirage Graphics3
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (62)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
UltraViolence83
Average
Average

Good news! Updating the drivers working like a charm. Thank you so much. Now I can play again without that annoying flicker nagging at me. This is a good day [for Thargoids] to die!