Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Flight Log

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Newt_Othis
Above Average
Above Average

Flight Log

Post by Newt_Othis »

What about an OXP that first logs and then displays your progress as you jump around the current galaxy?

For example, while on the galaxy map, a keypress would display all your Witchspace jumps and shift+keypress would display your jumps in order (maybe one per 0.5 second or so).

I'd find something like that handy - I like to have a good explore, but lack of sleep (due to a recent addition to the brood) means that I can't remember where I've been, in Oolite and worryingly often, Real Life.

I imagine that creating a log file of your progress would be trivial. Not sure about the galaxy map, though...
If she's playing Farmville, I can play Oolite, right?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I have tried to suggest this before without much luck. While I agree that it probably isn't the most sought after and important feature request in Oolite, I still believe it's a good idea.

Anyway, have a look at this thread:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=#61761
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's not really possible as an OXP (other than as a list which could be brought up as a mission screen via a special sequence of key presses when docked).

Might one suggest the slightly lower TL option of a pad and pen?
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Thargoid wrote:
Might one suggest the slightly lower TL option of a pad and pen?
That last page of OoliteRS.pdf had me lol literally.
Newt_Othis
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Newt_Othis »

I thought it was a reasonable suggestion. I'm obviously too lazy to log my flights manually.

Is there an area on the wiki that says what is and isn't available to OXP development? Some of the Equipment OXPs seem to significantly change the game.

@snork - Somebody, somewhere, fills these out and has several ring-bound folders of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Newt_Othis wrote:
Is there an area on the wiki that says what is and isn't available to OXP development?
Hi, Newt_Othis!

Yes, there is (sort of): The pages listed in the JS-Reference category, and in a broader sense, the ones listed in the Oolite Scripting category, give the complete information about every detail that can be changed. It's our complete toolbox. If something cannot be done with these tools, it isn't available to OXP development. (And if you read through all of it carefully, you'll notice that you won't find a command for manipulating the F6-screen; which buries your idea).

That's the simple answer. Unfortunately all the stuff on the Wiki is by nature very technical, therefore you have to understand it in order to understand it, and no easy list of possibles and impossibles in lay-man's terms can be made from it. (Well, I suppose it probably could, but (a) I guess it would end up being horribly incomplete anyway, and (b) who would do it in the first place?)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Newt_Othis wrote:
I thought it was a reasonable suggestion. I'm obviously too lazy to log my flights manually.
It will be very easy to write an oxp that logs your route. You just must remember to copy the info from the log after each time you quit Oolite.

Currently there are already some oxp that write info to the log. One is big_ships.oxp.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Eric Walch wrote:
It will be very easy to write an oxp that logs your route. You just must remember to copy the info from the log after each time you quit Oolite.
By this I suspect you mean that the OXP will use the standard Oolite log file.
Would it be possible to create a separate file for the flight log and append the information.

As it is right now, there is already a lot of information in the Oolite log file. Adding more "non essential" information while Oolite is still under development, does not sound like a good something bug hunters will appriciate.

Don't know the first thing about OXP writing, but hope that someone will pick up on this.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'll put together a simple script to log and display your last x jumps (x will depend on how it looks on the screen) when I get a moment.

It should be a simple script to put together, if RL allows...
Newt_Othis
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Newt_Othis »

Hi Commander McLane,

Thanks for the info and I appreciate the warning regarding needing to understand to understand.

I'm keen to get into the OXP writing thing. I just need some time to pick thru some of the existing ones to see how it fits together...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Newt_Othis wrote:
-----------------------------
helpmyspacebarisbroken
:lol:

The good news is that you don't need it for Oolite. Don't ask what my "A"-key looks like, though... :?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Newt_Othis wrote:
helpmyspacebarisbroken
The Random Hits Space Bar (OXP) is broken?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Commander McLane wrote:
Newt_Othis wrote:
helpmyspacebarisbroken

The good news is that you don't need it for Oolite. Don't ask what my "A"-key looks like, though... :?
Just make damn sure to avoid all mission screens that don't offer a choice selection ;)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Newt_Othis wrote:
helpmyspacebarisbroken

Just make damn sure to avoid all mission screens that don't offer a choice selection ;)
I can always get away from them with F1. :P

But you're right, the SPACE key is actually used in Oolite on this occasion. Although that seems relatively harmless, compared to the quite common practise to use it for firing your main weapon.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Thargoid wrote:
I'll put together a simple script to log and display your last x jumps (x will depend on how it looks on the screen) when I get a moment.

It should be a simple script to put together, if RL allows...
OK - had a play around and a quick re-hack of the HyperCargo script. So please try out Flight Log OXP v1.00.

To view it, go to the manifest screen (F5 when docked or F5-F5 in-flight) and from there go to the short range chart (F6). You can view the last 10 systems visited (plus your current location), and when you have been somewhere you can dump it out to the latest.log (oolite cannot write to any other log file whilst running for security reasons).

It self-resets when you galactic-jump, and you can also clear it from the view screen.

Will "properly" release it (wiki entry plus an OXP forum post) tomorrow - bedtime now!

Enjoy...