A Thargoid sympathizer?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

A Thargoid sympathizer?

Post by myst.RAVEN »

So I was flying around some earlier today, and upon hyping into a system I found a Thargoid signature. Turn to face it and it's one of the monstrous carriers from Second Wave, if I'm not mistaken. So I start shooting at it, and then realise it has a docking port. I Shift-L and, to my amusement, get invited in: "Come on in, commander". So, to my even greater amusement, I did just that (not expecting to successfully dock, but rather expecting to turn into a rapidly expanding cloud of particulate matter.) I refuelled, sold some alloys I had... ummm... come across, launched - and blew it to kingdom come (so no, not a Thargoid sympathizer after all, more like an infiltrator...)

What I'm wondering is, surely this can't be the intended behaviour [silly American-centric spellchecker is trying to tell me I've misspelled "behaviour" - and again! LoL] of these particular objects in Second Wave (however funny it might be!)?
Commander MultiplePersonalityDisorder: Flying around various galactic sectors, in a variety of ships, with a variety of lifestyles and professions...

Full throttle and fuel injectors - now THAT's the way to park!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

It certainly was never meant by the OXP maker, and there's a scripting request to have a way to remove this unintended behaviour.
In trunk any hostile station already refuses docking permissions, but there are still a couple of related issues that still need to be sorted out...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by myst.RAVEN »

Ah, so it's actually a known issue - alrighty, then :)
Commander MultiplePersonalityDisorder: Flying around various galactic sectors, in a variety of ships, with a variety of lifestyles and professions...

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: A Thargoid sympathizer?

Post by Thargoid »

myst.RAVEN wrote:
Turn to face it and it's one of the monstrous carriers from Second Wave, if I'm not mistaken.
You are mistaken - Second Wave only has warships (the normal Thargoid craft) and Thargons, nothing larger.

I suspect you met ADCK's ship...
myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by myst.RAVEN »

Hmmm, yes, I'm pretty sure I have the OXP name wrong. It's just a REALLY huge (and apparently dockable) Thargoid carrier vessel... Ah yes, there we are - Thargoid Carrier OXP, by ADCK :)

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

ADCK "bought" the OXP from me, and the dockable area was supposed to be a real treat for the "rare commander" who could get past the fleet of Thargoid warships that launched from it. Once docked you would be able to buy Alien Items dirt cheap.

I couldn;t get the scripting to work, and there were problems with the AI that launched ships and it never launched enough to make it a challenge. Plus which there was no way to determine what items were for sale in those days and the bloody carrier was destroyable to boot!

So I gave up on it and eventually sold it cheap. Anyway, that's why there's a working docking bay there.
myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by myst.RAVEN »

Hey, thanks - it's way cool to get some "behind-the-scenes" insight :) Interesting concepts - too bad it didn't work out.

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Selezen wrote:
I couldn;t get the scripting to work, and there were problems with the AI that launched ships and it never launched enough to make it a challenge. Plus which there was no way to determine what items were for sale in those days and the bloody carrier was destroyable to boot!
You can determine what items are for sale now, so maybe ADCK could make that work correctly?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

myst.RAVEN wrote:
I Shift-L and...
Shift L??? :o

that's a new one on me.

"permission to land?" is it?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Yodeebe wrote:
myst.RAVEN wrote:
I Shift-L and...
Shift L??? :o

that's a new one on me.

"permission to land?" is it?
Yup, we've got that too, for those who want it. Read more here:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... _later&#41;
tonyhippy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tonyhippy »

I'd like to see a mission screen maybe with a variety of choices and outcomes (like you get at the seedy space bar etc.)
Maybe you escape with alien items or stolen technology, maybe you get away with your skin and a stolen (crappy) ship or maybe they subject you to horrendously fatal medical experiments. Or maybe they infect you and send you on a mission for them promising the antidote....
myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by myst.RAVEN »

Hmmm - some interesting concepts there, especially the last one, the "work for us and we'll cure you" :D

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"subject you to horrendously fatal medical experiments"

lol, is that as opposed to slightly fatal ones?!
el_Paraguayo
Average
Average

Post by el_Paraguayo »

Killer Wolf wrote:
"subject you to horrendously fatal medical experiments"

lol, is that as opposed to slightly fatal ones?!
Or as Blackadder would say:
"A fate worse than a fate worse than death? That's pretty bad!"

Apologies to any non-UK people who have no idea what I'm talking about
Commander Flashheart, Cobra Mk 1. "I've got a plan, and it's as hot as my pants!"
Dave McRoss
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dave McRoss »

I remember I read a tale on Oolite wiki about a pilot captured by thargoids and keeped in a sort of hallucinatory status for guinea pig purposes...
My ship list:

Cobra MK 3 - Lepka
Dragon M - Smaug
Python - Boa Pitonato
Cobra MK 3 - Lepka II
Now in a Python ET Special - Shark Panzer

[G5] -= Deadly =- (3720 Kills)