Tch, lost site

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Tch, lost site

Post by Killer Wolf »

Right, i need internet help please. my site, Purgatori.net, and my other site also hosted at godaddy are missing from my home machine : i get a "server cannot be found" message, and my FTP also fails to connect. all my other browsing seems unaffected, and purg.net is fully available from here, my work puter : any thoughts as to what might be going on? i run NOD32 and Zonealarm but haven't changed any settings (unless by accident that i didn't realise).

TIA
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Holy crap, dude, that's a visually challenging site.

If you can view it from anywhere except home then you probably have some sort of security issue on your home browser with something on the site.

What controls does your site use? The scrolly blood thing (which is almost seizure-inducing) may use javascript or ActiveX that might be blocked on your browser.

Did you change anything about the site before it stopped working? Did you add any new controls or components?

Also, has your ISP changed the IP address of your server maybe? Might be worth giving them a ring and ask if they have changed anything related to your account. If they have changed the IP address and not updated the DNS entries then your site would vanish in the way you describe...

Hope that helps.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

the scrolly blood thing is java, been working fine for years. i uploaded a pic on sun, no bother. been onto godaddy, they say there's no bother, i'm coming to the opinion that zonealarm is fkng w/ me >:-/
site works from from here so i'm doubting it's an IP prob or such like.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, I can see the site, but there are a couple of bits missing:

newtitlpic.jpg
next.jpg

don't seem to be anywhere...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Kaks wrote:
Hmm, I can see the site, but there are a couple of bits missing:

newtitlpic.jpg
next.jpg

don't seem to be anywhere...
Same here...
Last edited by DaddyHoggy on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

About what Selezen said - easy to check out.

Edit your hosts file, put a line in it
purgatori.net 97.74.144.5
This will overrun the DNS.
Be aware that once that site is moved to another server / IP you won't find it anymore until that line is deleted / adapted again.

See here where the hosts file resides in various systems.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

cheers for the answers, all.
i saw something on another site that seemed to suggest the hosts list blocked stuff, but as per typical i can't find it in my history.
one thing i did notice in my brief fiddling was ZOnealarm seems to be running a rule called Blockall2, so i dunno if those sites (or godaddy in general) has been inadvertantly added to some filter list or such like. gone have a bit more play when i get home, and try my other machine :-/
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

cheers Snork, that's partially fixed it : IE now works but firefox don't and my FTP still can't connect. i've run a tracert for the tech bods, see what they say about it. had no probs at work so it must be something on this machine, but i've looked at my zonealarm and NOD32 logs and can't see anything obvious :-/

edit : ffs, my other machine's not loading it now. same thing. same setup, NOD and ZA. can't fkn believe this :-(
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

If both machines are using a home router (which I suspect they are) - It could be the router has a bad entry in it's DNS cache and needs to be flushed (reboot will usually work too). A cached bad DNS record would explain all of this rather well. If you do go this route, please remember to remove the entry from your Hosts file.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

ok, i'm being dense here - i thought routers were wifi things? i use a broadband thingy w/ a usb modem.
godaddy support seem to be washing their hands of it, as they say the site's fine :-(
the odd thing is, i uploaded a pic on Sun, FF sees that ok, all my other pages are unavailable ~ how's that work?

if the router option is still relevant to me, how do i do it?
support suggested i clear my browser cookies and cache : i haven't done that yet, simply cos i searched and there were no purg.net cookies and i don't see that clearing my browser cache would sort the FTP prob?

edit : just tried their tip for checking FTP connectiviy via a DOS CMD prompt, that works, my WS-FTP still doesn't, if that's of any use....
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Killer Wolf wrote:
edit : just tried their tip for checking FTP connectiviy via a DOS CMD prompt, that works, my WS-FTP still doesn't, if that's of any use....
i had a problem once where it turns out the FTP software just broke. I re-installed it and all was well. May help!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Is your connection "always on"? If so, unplug the power to your router and broadband widgets and wait 30 seconds before plugging them in again. That will clear any cache and reset them, part of which will be a refresh of the ISP's IP data.

If you are still having problems then your IP on the ISP's network may be having problems - in that case disconnect your broadband overnight so that you are assigned a new internal IP address then try again. :-)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

nope, not always on, i have the computer switched off until i need it.
got another hands-wash from support saying i should contact my ISP. i dunno how this would work tho cos if it was ISP surely all or nothing would work? at the mo IE gets to the site but FF and the FTP don't, surely if the ISP was faulty nothing would get through?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Not the computer, the broadband connection. Do you unplug the modem/router box from the wall when you turn your computermabob off?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

no. it's always in the wall but i plug it into the old machine or new machine depending on which i'm using/if i need net stuff. it's a USB alcatel green stingray thing, if that's of any significance.