Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New Recruit Compliments to the Galaxy

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Falconeer
Competent
Competent

New Recruit Compliments to the Galaxy

Post by Falconeer »

Hello to all Commanders :)

Its been about 25 Years since I first "played this game", sorry I know, its not a game, its a way of life. I have recently been involved in the FSX genre and have spent a fortune of my retired space traders pension on a W7 PC that will run the FSX beast.

Thanks to a fellow terrestrial flier I was introduced to Oolite............well words fail me. Almost :lol: My C64 and Amiga never did all this!! I would just like to confirm that I am back in Space Trading mode :D Oolite runs so excellently on my rig.....its awesome and its flawless!

My congratulations to the authors and everyone in this amazing community and long may it reign.

A question, if I may? I have Oolite V1.73, I was just wondering, since I have downloaded a great many OXP's, will it be possible to transfer the OXP folder and the Save Game folder from V1.73 into V1.74? ( When its released)

I am 3/4 way through Drew Wagar's Status Quo, a brilliant novella, I am still looking around my attic for my original copy of The Dark Wheel, I am sure I still have it somewhere! Drew remarks about the compelling nature of Oolite and I echo his thoughts. I still do not fully comprehend just what makes this such a compelling game. Suffice to say, it is. Even more so now perhaps with our shader graphics.

Right on Commanders!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: New Recruit Compliments to the Galaxy

Post by Thargoid »

Falconeer wrote:
A question, if I may? I have Oolite V1.73, I was just wondering, since I have downloaded a great many OXP's, will it be possible to transfer the OXP folder and the Save Game folder from V1.73 into V1.74? ( When its released)
Short answer - Yes :)

Some of the OXPs may not work (or may give errors) due to differences in the versions, but in general things transfer just as you say. And those OXPs that fail or give errors should be quickly (or otherwise) updated by their authors to 1.74 compatible versions. But save games transfer directly from one version to the next without issue (normally) unless you're flying an OXP ship and that OXP for some reason fails.

Oh and alien welcomes to the place, which some say is the friendliest this side of some hole called Riedquaat.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Yeah, no problem, the save game will be fine, most OXPs will be compatible. OXPs which are not compatible will mostly be updated pretty quick.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yeah, welcome Falconeer.

What you say about the ‘mysteriously’ compelling aspect of this game is oh so true.
When I discovered it last year, I was dumbfounded… it’s just how I always wanted Elite to look.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: New Recruit Compliments to the Galaxy

Post by Kaks »

Yes, welcome to the board!
Thargoid wrote:
Oh and alien welcomes to the place, which some say is the friendliest this side of some hole called Riedquaat.
It's Riedquat, by the way! Those aliens never could pronounce the name properly! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Too much slime on the keyboard...
Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Post by Falconeer »

Thanks Commanders!

This is a very impressive Ooniverse :D

I am still doing a few milk runs, Tioisla- Isinor-Zaalela, to build up my credits and re familiarise myself with the Cobra again....Its only been 20 years or so..........Thargoids are just as ugly :lol: No offense intended..........Just in case they are monitoring the space frequencies!

PS Does anyone have any space snaps of Rebecca? There's a gal who would be worth buying a drink for :wink:

Cheers!
masona2
Competent
Competent

Post by masona2 »

Hi Guys

ERR...

When/before you download the new version, how do you transfer your save game files?
Elite.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You'll find them in the oolite.app/oolite-saves within your main oolite directory. One file per save game - just copy/paste them from your old installation to your new one (into the same folder there).

You can also back up your save files by copying them somewhere else for storage.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Falconeer wrote:
PS Does anyone have any space snaps of Rebecca? There's a gal who would be worth buying a drink for
Don't know about that... but we do have a member called Rebecca, who styles herself as 'Becka the Hermit Slayer'.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Welcome to the boards. With FSX I assume you mean Flight Simulator 10?

If so then a shameless plug:

I'm part of a scenery design team NL-2000. We make a scenery of the Netherlands based on areal photography. A must have. We just released an FSX version. I myself fly on FS9. I like it better.
You can find it at:

http://www.nl-2000.com/nuke/

If not then forget all about this and still welcome in the wonderful world of Oolite. Thanks to our valued members you have a lot of reading to do on the WIKI.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

El Viejo wrote:
Falconeer wrote:
PS Does anyone have any space snaps of Rebecca? There's a gal who would be worth buying a drink for
Don't know about that... but we do have a member called Rebecca, who styles herself as 'Becka the Hermit Slayer'.
I think Rebecca (player) met Rebecca (NPC) at some point, and she (player) did take a snapshot of the event to share with the board, but I've no idea where that picture is now... :)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Kaks wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Falconeer wrote:
I think Rebecca (player) met Rebecca (NPC) at some point, and she (player) did take a snapshot of the event to share with the board, but I've no idea where that picture is now... :)
You mean this pic?

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

That's right, DH! Something like that! :)
Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Post by Falconeer »

Yes, the Rebecca from Status Quo by Drew Wagar :) In the first six chapters she sounds like a good shipmate! I think Drew said that in the original Elite, you had to really project your imagination into those wire frame worlds. Now with these shader engines the "holodeck" is getting a little closer. :wink:

I will finish the novell tonight, if I can just dock my Cobra.....Good lord this is so compelling.........

And re FSX yup, thats where my cash went. On a darn PC that would cope with the old programming that goes to make it. :roll: Now, Oolite simply flies...excuse the terrible pun! I dont even think one needs an i7 and DDR3 for this Gem. The planets and Griff's ships are stunningly smooth. I just wish I could code some OXP's..........perhaps with a planetfall, where you see the planet surface and the starbase as you land.............. :D

Lastly, the *key does not take a screenshot on my PC (W7), is that the correct key? Also where is the screenshot file saved?

Cheers.