Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

new imac

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

new imac

Post by Yodeebe »

OOOOoooooOOOoOOOooOOOoooH :D
i just got an imac 24" 2.4ghz 1 gig ram, radian graphics card, mint for £630.
will this be able to run oolite with all bells & whistles? or will it need a bigger ram?
I could wait & find out, i suppose, but i couldn't wait!
cheers.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yes.
Yrol_Denjeah
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Yrol_Denjeah »

A Quote from Ahruman:
"Yes."

°winks° so it "will" need a bigger RAM?
(in a cutely insane, electronic, stuttering female voice)
Are you Afraid? What is it you Fear?
The End of your Trivial Existence? Ha!
When the History of my Glory is written,
your Species shall only be a Footnote
to my Magnificence.
I am SHODAN.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Yrol_Denjeah wrote:
A Quote from Ahruman:
"Yes."

°winks° so it "will" need a bigger RAM?
At last someone has found an ambiguity in one of Ahrumans extensive and detailed answers.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

:D
[very big grin]
cheers all.
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Yodeebe wrote:
:D
[very big grin]
cheers all.
You should really boost the RAM to 2GB minimum. 4GB preffered. Not a big investment. With 1GB You`ll see lots of memory swapping to disk.

Congrats on Your new Mac BTW. :)
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

goran wrote:
You should really boost the RAM to 2GB minimum. 4GB preffered.
you can't have too much RAM. when my mac mini had 1 GB, it was always full. without virtual memory i would have been lost. now it has 2 GB, and i still have to use virtual memory (like right now my swapfile is 2 GB (940MB used)), but occasionally memory usage drops to 75% or so.

i sure wish i could afford a mac pro...
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

harry747 wrote:
goran wrote:
You should really boost the RAM to 2GB minimum. 4GB preffered.
you can't have too much RAM. when my mac mini had 1 GB, it was always full. without virtual memory i would have been lost. now it has 2 GB, and i still have to use virtual memory (like right now my swapfile is 2 GB (940MB used)), but occasionally memory usage drops to 75% or so.

Swap file is always used. The thing You have to look for is number of page outs in Activity Monitor/System memory. As long as it stays 0, You have enough real memory.
LSDS
Poor
Poor

Post by LSDS »

harry747 wrote:
You and me both. :wink: I could probably swing it but I can't seem to justify the purchase right now. Maybe in another year or two if my circumstances change.
“John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting.”—Benedict Valda, Warehouse 13
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

If I could afford a Mac Pro, I wouldn’t really want to buy one now – it hasn’t been updated for 469 days.

On the other hand, the new Mac Mini supports up to 8 GiB of memory. Mmm… memory.

My iMac is a lot like Yodeebe’s, maxed out to 4 GiB. Quite enough to play Oolite, but a bit small for development. Instruments in particular eats gigglebytes for breakfast.
DanielCoffey
Poor
Poor

Post by DanielCoffey »

Yodeebe - can you post the *exact* model of iMac that you have bought please. I have 2Gb of ram that I took out of my mid-2007 iMac which I could mail to you free if it was compatible.
DanielCoffey
Poor
Poor

Post by DanielCoffey »

Yodeebe has sent me his Mac spec and he has the mid-2007 iMac like me but since creating this post he has upgraded to 2Gb already.

I had my original 2x 1Gb strips left over from when I went up to 4Gb so they will not be any use to him due to the fact that the mid-2007 iMac has only two slots and his are filled.

I guess this leaves me asking the mods... am I allowed to post a "FREE - 2x 1Gb 667MHz PC-5300 RAM" post for United Kingdom mac owners? It is sitting in a cupboard unused so it would make sense to pass it on.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

DanielCoffey wrote:
am I allowed to post a "FREE - 2x 1Gb 667MHz PC-5300 RAM" post for United Kingdom mac owners?
I remember paying about 300 dutch guilders per MB (140 euro) for my first memory upgrade for my Mac plus. 1/4 MB out and 1 Mb in. So effectively only 3/4 Mb extra memory. = 0.00075 Gb.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Eric Walch wrote:
I remember paying about 300 dutch guilders per MB (140 euro) for my first memory upgrade for my Mac plus. 1/4 MB out and 1 Mb in. So effectively only 3/4 Mb extra memory. = 0.00075 Gb.
Yeah memory sizes were quite small back in the day. I also remember when I got my first hard drive for my Atari ST, it was external, and was 100 MB. My old Atari Falcon030 (when I upgraded from the ST in about 1996) orginally had a 50MB internal drive, and I upgraded it to 10 GB. Virtually unlimited space for Atari files where the biggest program files are no more than 4 MB in size!!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
DanielCoffey
Poor
Poor

Post by DanielCoffey »

DanielCoffey wrote:
I guess this leaves me asking the mods... am I allowed to post a "FREE - 2x 1Gb 667MHz PC-5300 RAM" post for United Kingdom mac owners? It is sitting in a cupboard unused so it would make sense to pass it on.
This memory has been taken by Pluisje who PM'd me. I am pleased we can reuse it.

I have vacuum-sterilised the package to minimise the risk of Trumble infestation. In the event of any complaints, please register your ship with the Leesti Docking Authorities and place it in the High Security Quarantine Facility for inspection by the lawyers of Morcombe, Feynman, Feynman and Planck.