Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

the docking computer

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

harry747
Deadly
Deadly

the docking computer

Post by harry747 »

what's wrong with the docking computer in the last few revisions? when it is activated, it just slows down and stops. it just sits there, no movement, no maneuvering, nothing. WTF?
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

There have been changes in the last few revisions, but I can't imagine this could have changed existing behaviour. Are you sure you are not put in a big queue and waiting for other ships to dock?

On the mac you can easy check things by installing the Debug.oxp. It allows you to type cmd-I (for Inspect player) and you'll get a floating window with player info. Than click on the small i behind the AI entry. This will open a new floating window showing you the running AI. This should give clue what the player AI is doing. And if it hangs or is intentionally waiting.

And my commander just docked on his docking computer in the background while writing this, so it seems okay to me.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Four docking attempts with the DC so far, all successful, both in main and secondary stations. I believe it is safe to say Works For Me™.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

For the record, I actually tested the latest autopilot changes quite extensively for once! It worked in a variety of interesting situations.

However, I did notice that the ship had difficulty orienting itself when the time acceleration factor was raised, even at 2x.
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

hm, that's weird. what ships are you guys flying? me, i use a supercobra with all the equipment i can stuff in there.

as for being queued, i don't think that was the case because
- there were hardly any ships around
- when the station puts me in a queue, they tell me (usually)
- queuing doesn't happen every time, but the behaviour i described does.
- this weird behaviour happens every time, whether i am right next to the station or at the edge of detection range.

come to think of it, i don't think i get a message from the station when i hit c.
confirmed. the S appears in the HUD, i hit c, i get a message "autopilot engaged", it just slows down and stops, and that's it. no message from the station, no movement, nothing.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Please post log indicating which OXPs are running and try to reproduce without OXPs present. This may be a bad OXP AI thing.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

harry747 wrote:
come to think of it, i don't think i get a message from the station when i hit c.
confirmed. the S appears in the HUD, i hit c, i get a message "autopilot engaged", it just slows down and stops, and that's it. no message from the station, no movement, nothing.
Not getting that station message is correct behaviour. The S becomes visible at 2x scanner range. When starting auto pilot at this distance, the station does send its message but the player is still to far to hear it.

But even with a superCobra, docking works perfect. And even when you are queued, you are send to the "abort position" what is normally on a circle at 8000 m from the station.
Another_Commander wrote:
This may be a bad OXP AI thing.
Yes, it yould be an oxp that contains an old copy of the dockingAI.plist. Try using the debug console and activate the "debug AI" check-box for the player. It will write useful stuff in your log about the running AI.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Older versions of my Bulk Hauler OXP had a dockingAI.plist (A leftover piece of Aegidians original Bulk Hauler)

So if you have either, I suggest updating.
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

Eric Walch wrote:
Try using the debug console and activate the "debug AI" check-box for the player. It will write useful stuff in your log about the running AI.
debug console? how do i get that?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

If you type Oolite debug console in your nearest search engine you should get a link very much like this one:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Debug_OXP

for trunk, you need to compile debug oxp alongside your main oolite build: open targets, found on the left panel of the Oolite project window, and you should see debug oxp there. Hilghlight that target, compile, and oolite will have a debug tag & the console within it.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Kaks wrote:
for trunk, you need to compile debug oxp alongside your main oolite build: open targets, found on the left panel of the Oolite project window, and you should see debug oxp there. Hilghlight that target, compile, and oolite will have a debug tag & the console within it.
If you use the Build All target (selectable from the Overview pop-up menu in the Xcode project window), it will be built and installed automatically.

It is also distributed with the Mac nightlies.
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

trying to build the build all target keeps giving me this error: Unable to resolve plug-in dependency for "OODebugController.xib".

i know i need the rbsplitview plugin, but how do i install that properly? http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Running_Oolite-Mac only says that it must be installed, and http://www.brockerhoff.net/src/rbs.html doesn't tell me how to install either.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Just double click it. The tool with then somehow know i is there.
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

ok, now it seems to be installed properly. and the plug-in dependency error doesn't appear anymore. but now i get this error instead:

/Users/Shared/projects/Oolite/trunk/DebugOXP/../deps/Cross-platform-deps/SpiderMonkey/js/src/jsotypes.h:77:0 /Users/Shared/projects/Oolite/trunk/DebugOXP/../deps/Cross-platform-deps/SpiderMonkey/js/src/jsotypes.h:77: error: conflicting types for 'uint64'

what can i do about that?

PS. this error only happens with the build all target. the oolite target works ok.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

As far as I recall, this is caused by using the wrong SDK. Ensure that “Use Base SDK” is selected under “Active SDK” in the Overview menu.

Also, please check your forum private messages.