Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Continuous buzzing sound

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Continuous buzzing sound

Post by Pluisje »

When several sounds are played together, the sound sometimes "hangs". A continuous buzz is the result. It only stops when I quit Oolite.

The log says:

Code: Select all

[sound.mixer.failedToConnectChannel]: Sound mixer: failed to connect channel <OOSoundChannel 0x23daed80>{ID=8, state=stopped, sound=<OOCABufferedSound 0x23ced400>{"afterburner1.ogg", stereo, 44100 Hz, 705624 bytes}}, error = kAudioUnitErr_CannotDoInCurrentContext.
[sound.play.failed]: Failed to play <OOCABufferedSound 0x23ced400>{"afterburner1.ogg", stereo, 44100 Hz, 705624 bytes}
I don't have alternate soundsets installed, but quite a few (just over a 100 :shock:) other OXPs.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Is this with v1.73.4 or trunk?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
Is this with v1.73.4 or trunk?
And which OS are you running?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

Sorry, I forgot to copy the top part of the log. It's 1.73.4 on a MacMini (2007) OS 10.5. Low spec, with low memory (1 Gb), but it runs quite smoothly most of the time.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Interesting. Of the horrible problems with the Mac sound system, this is one I didn’t know about. :-/
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I officially apolgize for not having mentioned it yet (to my excuse, usually I am playing with sound off anyway), but yes, I've had that same problem since 1.65. It usually manifests itself when more than one sound at the same time is to be played.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’ve reinstated the Sound Inspector panel as part of Debug.oxp; it will be in the next nightly. It might reveal something interesting, but I’m not overly optimistic.

The current Mac sound implementation is rather broken and needs replacing, but, y’know, MNSR and all that.