Question about Griff ships

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Journey
Average
Average

Question about Griff ships

Post by Journey »

Is there a way to start the game out in a Cobra Mk 3 in a Griff modeled Cobra? I have all the Griff ships oxp's installed, and deepspace ships, but always begin with a either a very plain [vanilla?] Cobra, or one that looks as tho it may have been towed across some very rough planetary surfaces before being dumped on, er, given to me to start in. I've tried removing the deepspace ships, but that seems to put me in the really plain one.

Also, I have seen very few Griff Cobra 3's for sale on any planet, tho the Mark 1's seem to be everywhere. I'd hate to have to buy one, since we start in the Cobra Mk 3, but i'm at a loss as to how I might start out in one. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :)
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

Edit your save file (I think that WordPad is suitable on Windows, and TextEdit on a Mac) and change the bit that says

Code: Select all

<key>ship_desc</key>
    <string>cobra3-player</string>
to "<string>griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player</player>".
Journey
Average
Average

Post by Journey »

Aha! Thank you, Phantom :D I'll be giving that a try! That Griff Cobra is one boss looking ship, ya know? :)
Journey
Average
Average

Post by Journey »

Nope, that didn't do it. The save game is still in the save folder, but it won't come up on the list of saves in the game :shock:

I'll change it back and hope it still plays :) I'll let you know what happens.

Edit: I changed it back and it is on the save list again :) Question-I noticed just a few lines below the ship description that it has Cobra Mark 3 in another line. Would I have to change each mention of the Cobra to the Griff ship? Guessing here, have no idea :)
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Phantom Hoover wrote:
Edit your save file (I think that WordPad is suitable on Windows, and TextEdit on a Mac) and change the bit that says

<key>ship_desc</key>
    <string>cobra3-player</string>
to "<string>griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player</player>".
I think you mean change it to:

<key>ship_desc</key>
    <string>griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player</string>
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

there's a problem with the cobraIII's in the current dizzy-all-in-1 bundle, the shipyard.plist file in the config folder is missing an entry for one of the griff_cobra's, i can't remember which one it is at the moment, possibly the 'scuffed' one, it stops you from being able to buy equipment for the ship, there's a fixed shipyard.plist for the oxp here
http://www.box.net/shared/rdlj3mp6aq

the individual ship download versions are ok and don't have the bug, i'll make sure this fix is in the dizzy bundle for its next update (currently working on a boa II remake)
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

That problem was just with the scuffed one, I switched to the standard one and everything is available to buy that should be.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i think i noticed another fault in the shipyard.plist too the other day, i've fixed it on my local copy of the oxp and forgot to make a note of what i did - i think one of the other player ships has the wrong name, possibly one of the fer-de-lances, it's listed and ferdelance_g_decals or something daft, and because this name doesn't match the one the player flies you won't be able to buy equipment for that ship either, the shipyard.plist i posted above has this fix in it too.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

I just tried to do the same change (on Mac, using the property list editor) but upon start Oolite told me that it cannot find the griff_normalmapped_... ship. I'm sure there is no typo as I copied the ship name from the shipyard plist in the OXP bundle.

During gameplay I do see the normalmapped ships, on the start screen it always shows the plain Oolite ships. Is this a bug or a feature? ;-)

I'm using the all-in-one OXP from Griff, Oolite 1.73.4

Any ideas?

Cheers,
-Maik
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

maik wrote:
I just tried to do the same change (on Mac, using the property list editor) but upon start Oolite told me that it cannot find the griff_normalmapped_... ship. I'm sure there is no typo as I copied the ship name from the shipyard plist in the OXP bundle.

During gameplay I do see the normalmapped ships, on the start screen it always shows the plain Oolite ships. Is this a bug or a feature? ;-)

I'm using the all-in-one OXP from Griff, Oolite 1.73.4

Any ideas?

Cheers,
-Maik
:oops: Contrary to how I normally start Oolite (via the application) I just double clicked the save file which ended up being mapped to a dev version of Oolite on my system... Sorry
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

maik wrote:
On the start screen, use the 'left' key to cycle through the ships... Griff's ships should show, followed by the standard set.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
X
Above Average
Above Average

Post by X »

If the ship's name was spelled incorrectly, your save file would still appear, but you'd get a giant question mark on your load screen where your ship would be.

I think you added/removed a </key> or <string> somewhere, that would make the game think your save file is corrupted and refuse to load it. Double check just to make sure.

Edit: I should read the thread more thoroughly.

So to make this post not so completely pointless, can anyone tell me if downloading two different ship graphic packs would cause something to clash?
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

X wrote:
So to make this post not so completely pointless, can anyone tell me if downloading two different ship graphic packs would cause something to clash?
It could I believe if two different OXPs overrode the same basic ship. For example the Neolite ships replace all the basic ones and Griff's override the chance of the basic ones appearing to be zero out of the box so if you run with both then you would never see any Neolite ships.

Fortunately it is extremely easy to tweak them a little so this is not a problem - I am happily running with Neolite, Griff's and the DeepSpace ships all alongside each other - see this thread for details, it really is very easy.
Journey
Average
Average

Post by Journey »

Thank you, ADCK, that did the trick :D My new Jameson is now flying a Griff Cobra Mk 3!

Too cool :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

Journey wrote:
My new Jameson is now flying a Griff Cobra Mk 3!

Too cool
Yeah... ain't they just. Paint job and decals next, Journey.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!