Naval Energy Unit

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

masona2
Competent
Competent

Naval Energy Unit

Post by masona2 »

I have just received this kit for completing a mission.

Can anyone tell me what exactly this is and what it does?

And what can I do now that I couldn't do before?

Thanks in advance.
Elite.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

First of all, congratulations for finishing the mission! :D

Right on, Commander!

The Naval Energy Unit replaces your Extra Energy Unit, if you had one before. It is an energy generator which increases the recharge rate for your energy banks. See also the Wiki:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Extra_Energy_Unit

and

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Naval_Energy_Unit

(by the way: inconsistent page naming here) EDIT: corrected that
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

a small footnote here, if you change your ship, you will be entitled to buy a NEU to put in it if you are at a suitably high tech level

otherwise you will only be offered an ExtraEnergyUnit

DO NOT BUY THIS because if you do, intending to upgrade to the NEU later, you will find that you can't - the NEU will not be offered if you already have the EEU installed
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
a small footnote here, if you change your ship, you will be entitled to buy a NEU to put in it if you are at a suitably high tech level

otherwise you will only be offered an ExtraEnergyUnit

DO NOT BUY THIS because if you do, intending to upgrade to the NEU later, you will find that you can't - the NEU will not be offered if you already have the EEU installed
its a paradox, is it not!

The thing is he cannot buy the EEU unless he gets rid of the NEU by means of an OXP.

They are mutually exclusive,even when damaged. In code terms the technology level required for buying the NEU is simply lowerd from 99 to 13, when the thargoid mission is over..

Even if he for some reason sold the NEU via that OXP that enables you to-do that, He would still be able to buy the NEU as long as he does not have the EEU. and even then he could just sell the EEU before reacquiring the EEU.

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I think this is fixed in trunk ( and in the future 1.74 release). The new behaviour should be as follows: if you've been awarded an NEU in the past thanks to completing a mission, & if you somehow end up with an EEU, you should be able to upgrade to an NEU when you reach a planet with suitably high technology.

It seemed to work ok here, but do let me know if it's b0rked again...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Thanks for the update

I should mention that the EEU/NEU situation did not seem always to apply, and that I do have a couple of ships saved which have both

Any OXP's which enable one to sell equipment would alter the arrangements at shipyards, of course, and any comments I make only apply to vanilla Oolite..

Cheers!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
Thanks for the update

I should mention that the EEU/NEU situation did not seem always to apply, and that I do have a couple of ships saved which have both

Any OXP's which enable one to sell equipment would alter the arrangements at shipyards, of course, and any comments I make only apply to vanilla Oolite..

Cheers!
Then once he acquires the NEU, he cannot ever acquire the EEU with that commander without modifying the save fale..

its true that at a time you could have both devices installed, not with trunk though...

Cheers Frame..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

...well, you could sell your ship and buy another one without a NEU and then fit a EEU, if for some reason you wanted the lower spec. eqpt.

(but then you'd need to repeat the performance to upgrade -- or buy a ship with NEU fitted, not a very economical activity though = the sort of thing governments think is clever, but not recommended for individual commanders)
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

I did this all the time.

If you buy them NEU-equipped ships at a TL15 planet it is about 70,000 credits extra.
Lower TL systems the price raises accordingly.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
. -- or buy a ship with NEU fitted...
If you somehow missed the Mission like I did, this is the only way to get a NEU, but there are drawbacks. If it gets damaged, you're stuffed. You can't get it fixed, and because it's still fitted you can't buy a EEU either.
Solution? No good ones. Sell the ship (at a huge loss) and try to find another, or 'cheat' and go back to a save where it is still OK. I'm not sure what the Escape Capsule situation is, whether you get the ship back with a working NEU, or another f****d one.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

In trunk, if you've got a damaged NEU, and no way to repair it, you should be able to get an EEU instead! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
Yes, but this is only because of a bug in an intermediate version of Oolite (something like 1.71-ish). It was never meant to be possible.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Even when it was possible to have both I think only one of them was used so there was no benefit in having both.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Cmdr James wrote:
Even when it was possible to have both I think only one of them was used so there was no benefit in having both.
...except messing up your save-game. :shock:

Hm. Come to think of it, not really a benefit at all... :? :P :roll:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Smivs wrote:
Zbond-Zbond wrote:
. -- or buy a ship with NEU fitted...
If you somehow missed the Mission like I did, this is the only way to get a NEU, but there are drawbacks. If it gets damaged, you're stuffed. You can't get it fixed, and because it's still fitted you can't buy a EEU either.
Solution? No good ones. Sell the ship (at a huge loss) and try to find another, or 'cheat' and go back to a save where it is still OK. I'm not sure what the Escape Capsule situation is, whether you get the ship back with a working NEU, or another f****d one.
Try a pod or few of Repair Nanobots. The blueprints for the NEU are in their database ;)