Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

winston
Pirate
Pirate

Vintage Computing Festival UK

Post by winston »

Just to let you all know...

The UK's first Vintage Computing Festival will be at Bletchley Park this year. It takes place on the 19th/20th June.

Highlights include:
* Talk by Sophie Wilson, one of the original designers of the BBC Micro and the ARM CPU (the ARM CPU is the world's most popular CPU, having Sophie Wilson give a talk is more significant than if the head CPU designer of Intel showed up).
* Talk by Chris Smith, who has reverse engineered the Spectrum ULA (and the Ferranti ULA technology in general)
* Amiga anniversary
* Acorn World, more Beebs than you can shake a stick at, if Retro Reunited in Huddersfield last year was anything to go by.
* Of course, it's *Bletchley Park* too, the home of the Colossus
* And of course, I'll be exhibiting the Spectranet there (an ethernet card for the Spectrum, so even 8 bits get online).

http://www.tnmoc.org/vcf-gb.aspx for more details.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Funnily enough, I have been invited by friends to go to this event. Not sure I will though, need to get a job first.

I'm involved in retro computing, have an interest in Atari 16/32bit computers. Still have an Atari Falcon030 (vintage 1993) 32bit computer here at home! Plus am involved with the Cheshunt Computer Club, which still has committed Atari supporting members.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JazHaz wrote:
Funnily enough, I have been invited by friends to go to this event. Not sure I will though, need to get a job first.

I'm involved in retro computing, have an interest in Atari 16/32bit computers. Still have an Atari Falcon030 (vintage 1993) 32bit computer here at home! Plus am involved with the Cheshunt Computer Club, which still has committed Atari supporting members.
<Clicks fingers>I still own an original fake wood finished Atari 2600, 2x C64s (one original tan breadbin + 1541 Floppy, the other Amiga-like remodel + Evesham Micros Excellerator+ floppy drive), 3x Commodore Amiga A500s (#1 Original c. 1989 with 1/2 meg upgrade, #2 Original c. 1990 with A590 20MB HD and 2MB expansion, #3 A500+, Modified/upgraded to have Fatter Agnus and internal soldered 2MB upgrade - bit flaky - but it fired up OK last time I slipped it out of its box...)

As you can see - Commodore man through and through - and I still regret flogging my A2500 (I had aspirations to recreate B5 on my own, using Raylab - while I saved up for a video toaster - but post-uni debts and a poorly car put an end to that)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Looks interesting... might have to see if I can make it.

Thanks for the info.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Funnily enough - talking of Commodore, I was in Sheffield a week and a half ago (for Retro Reunited at Sheffield Hallam Uni students union) and picked up my first ever Commodore - an Amiga 1200. I was never interested in the C64, but I always wanted (but never got) an Amiga.

If you want to see what retro project I'm working on now, you just have to look here ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooi9rpx6ECM
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

winston wrote:
Funnily enough - talking of Commodore, I was in Sheffield a week and a half ago (for Retro Reunited at Sheffield Hallam Uni students union) and picked up my first ever Commodore - an Amiga 1200. I was never interested in the C64, but I always wanted (but never got) an Amiga.

If you want to see what retro project I'm working on now, you just have to look here ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooi9rpx6ECM
Ah the A1200, lots of incompatibilities with the A500 stuff, but we all wanted one just the same.

I have watched your Youtube video - Winston - you're a genius, a crackpot loon, but a genius and I love it - I've posted it on FB because more people need to see it!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i've still got an a500 + half-meg and an A1200 up in the loft, boxed, and a bag full of games. Elite, Alien Breed, Dune 2, Thunderhawk...ah, the memories.