Can't launch, can't save

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Marky
Poor
Poor

Can't launch, can't save

Post by Marky »

I'm a noob to oolite, but have really enjoyed playing over the last couple of weeks. reminds me of my BBC and C64 days, but with so much more depth. however now i have hit a problem.

Initially i downloaded and installed whilst running windows 7. graphics crashed and keys didn't work. then i binned 7 and restored to factory defaults (home premium vista), and could play. Happy days!

I installed random hits and was happily exterminating crims, but then something happened. it may have been a windows update, but i removed it and still had the problem.

All was going well, until i docked (i think it was solageon or sotiqu) anyhow in dock there were no apparrent probs, but i could not quick save. save commander option worked, but the enter key was disabled on overwrite (it worked on cancel). in fact i have to press Fn+enter every time i press enter.

when i press 1 to launch, i get a view of the slot of the station slot rotating from inside the station and i don't launch. if i press any function keys i go back to all the station menus.

i am currently downloading and reinstalling oolite v1.74 to see if i can sort it, but any help would be appreciated. luckily i have my save files so hopefully i can pick up my killing spree once reinstalled.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hi There :D

Strange problem.

Does it happen with other savefiles too?
Marky
Poor
Poor

Post by Marky »

it seems to be a problem when docked in these particular systems. i unfortunately lost my download files and am currently downloading the program again (for the last 9 hours thanks to a mobile internet connection here in guatemala), so i'm going to reinstall and see if it fixes itself. i'll write again if i can recreate the problem, but obviously it isn't a common one. the Fn+Enter thing is really weird. i figured it out by accident in desperate pressing, and thankfully i was then able to play.
Marky
Poor
Poor

Post by Marky »

i tried to use the autosave, but was on a mission to the southwest of G1. i used the advanced nav to plot a route and decided to repeat the action with the same result. next time i'll bypass it, when it finally installs (2 hours to download 21Mb, that's if my connection stays stable for that long!!)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Please try to reproduce the problem and as soon as it happens, quit the game and post the contents of Latest.log here.

Also note that v1.74 of the game has not yet been released. If you are referring to trunk nightly builds, be advised that you play them at own risk. They are not guaranteed to work as expected, or even to work at all.
Marky
Poor
Poor

Post by Marky »

Finally managed to finish downloading at midnight last night and reinstalled the game, together with Amen Bricks, Random Hits and Long Way OXPs. All is working fine again now. if the bug reoccurs i will do as you suggested. Thanks :-)