Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Planet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Planet

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

A commander* landing on a lot of planets/moons/etc. is curious regarding bars-on-terra-firma. They have such intriguing names.

A fellow commander regularly hits the town, unloading exotic bootlegged poison exquisite liqueur and other delectables from lands afar, but has an Elite ranking + loadsa dosh; does that make a difference??

The *first commander has been trading a bit, shooting a bit when necessary to reach a FreeTradeZone or something, and has accumulated a small bankroll and minor status in the course of a galaxy mapping exercise, but has never found a bar, ever. Despite landing on planet/moon/etc. up to 4 times per jump all the way from Harmless to Dangerous. And although this commander has now slipped back to Competent (owing to an unfortunate accident), the question persists: are the Planetfall bars only available to ***ELITE*** commanders :?: :?:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

No, they are available to any commander who has both Planetfall and Random Hits installed. The bars are planet-side versions of the seedy space bars from the RH OXP (and so needs it present to appear, as the readme says).
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Well these bars are certainly seedy. I am currently at the The Black Moon on Cezaa Prime where I've just picked up some rather dubious gold and platinum. The absurdly cheap firearms are not dubious - the vendor assured me they were stolen. (I gather that's meant to imply that they are therefore not faulty). Soon I will be off, but although I had already downloaded RandomHits, as yet I've not installed it in the AddOns folder. Perhaps it was there very briefly a few months ago, when this commander was already well established, but I don't think so. However the other commander - the one that's never copped a seedy-bar-on-a-planet (so far) - was started up this year, and Random Hits has definitely not been in the AddOns folder at any time during this period.

I notice that the ReadMe only mentions getting missions at bars. It doesn't say anything about the non-appearance of bars if RH is not installed. One commander finds a bar (but no missions, of course) at vaguely regular intervals, the other never finds one, despite much more frequent planet/moon/etc. landings.

Actually, I might put RH in the AddOns folder and fly around a bit.. ..

:arrow: OK so now I've done that. After three or four planet landings, with RH installed, Commander Pigsbottom is able to report that a bar was indeed located, and some sort of mission info slipped into a pocket. In addition, a fuel tank was ruptured, draining out all remaining fuel, and someone swiped the fuel-injectors (which had to be re-purchased elsewhere). RH was then un-installed: it remains in another location - not in the Oolite folder anywhere and particularly not in the AddOns folder. After a bit more trading & contraband running, without RandomHits installed, and after hoarding food, alloys & liquor, The Fat Feline on Inve Prime has proved a willing customer for all of the above and there is even some machinery in a corner of the docking bay which nobody seems to want.. .. well, nobody's looking.. ..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So that seems to solve that puzzle, no mission info of course, but once registered ("harmless outsider" in this case) with RH, the bars (but not the missions) do materialise -- and so evidently I had installed RH briefly when I downloaded it. Hope all this is illuminating for anyone interested.

Cheers :)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Planetfall Taxi

Post by JazHaz »

Would like the Planetfall Taxi mission to notice when you have arrived at the target destination. Too often am I forgetting to press F5 when I arrive!

There must be a way of the mission screen coming up straight away when docked. After all most other mission OXPs do this!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Planetfall Taxi

Post by Thargoid »

JazHaz wrote:
Would like the Planetfall Taxi mission to notice when you have arrived at the target destination. Too often am I forgetting to press F5 when I arrive!

There must be a way of the mission screen coming up straight away when docked. After all most other mission OXPs do this!
As I already said elsewhere, this is going to happen in the 1.74 update now that we've got a proper mission framework available.

It was precisely because all other mission OXPs do this that I didn't, as I get totally fed up with being blitzed by mission screens (some of whom overwrite each other when they're not coded properly) when I dock.