Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Smivs' Shipset OXP - Development thread.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Smivs' Shipset OXP - Development thread.

Post by Smivs »

Smivs'Shipset is a sort of permanent Work in Progress, so any development news will be posted here for future versions. The next version (v3.0) will feature improved emission maps (lighting effects), more alternative paintjobs, and will include on-board models to insulate the Shipset against changes to the standard Oolite models.

Oops! I've just noticed that I've posted this under 'Discusions'. It might be better in the OXP section, so if any Admin wants to move it, that's fine.
I'm currently working on a replacement Ship Set for Oolite, using the original standard models with new Textures. I have gone for a clean, uncluttered, 'realistic' style (as per my Boa II Clipper OXP).
I intend firstly to re-texture all the standard Oolite ships, and then add other items (Stations, cargo pods etc) as a second release a little later on.
I would be interested to hear what you good people think of the idea in general, and what I've done so far. I am going through the ships alphabetically, and below is a composite of the ships I've been working on up to now. At this stage these may be final versions or may not depending on how I feel about them and perhaps what you all think of them.
I expect I'll make further posts in this thread as I finish more of the ships, and may well be looking for a bit of help and advice regarding scripting the OXP at some time as this is not a strong point of mine.
Please let me know what you think, and please be Honest!

Edit:- Out-of-date image removed.
Last edited by Smivs on Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Moved to Expansion Pack.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nice textures with one caveat - repetitive tiling effects - especially noticeable on the Cobra MkIII and MkI
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Nice textures with one caveat - repetitive tiling effects - especially noticeable on the Cobra MkIII and MkI
Thanks for your comment. This is a good point, and one I had realised might need addressing. Below is a re-done Mk3 Cobra (next to one with the 'old' finish) which is something I'll do to the other ships over the next few days. I took the opportunity to replace the access hatch at the same time...the original was a bit small.

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

More progress to report after a short break over Easter. I've re-visited many of the existing textures now to remove that 'tiled' effect that afflicted some of them, and tidy up a few small details at the same time.
I have also now more or less finished the two Morays, with some reservations. As these ships were built by the Marine Trench Company largely for aquatic species, I thought a 'fishy' look might be appropriate, but I'm wondering if I've gone a bit too far.
The first is the Starboat (top view), the second the Medical Boat (front-on).

I think I quite like them right now but as is often the case when you do a job like this you can get so involved in details that you miss the big picture. What do you all think? Do you like these or have I lost the plot?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Smivs wrote:
As these ships were built by the Marine Trench Company largely for aquatic species, I thought a 'fishy' look might be appropriate, but I'm wondering if I've gone a bit too far.

I think I quite like them right now but as is often the case when you do a job like this you can get so involved in details that you miss the big picture. What do you all think? Do you like these or have I lost the plot?
I like, but I think you have lost the plot! :wink: :lol:

They need toning down a tad! Maybe needs less definition, to make it a bit more subtle.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
I thought a 'fishy' look might be appropriate, but I'm wondering if I've gone a bit too far.
Umm.. yes.. you did.. two or three bits too far, even.. :shock:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks, you've confirmed my worries. Just knocked this demo up quickly to see what a toned-down effect might look like....is it better? I'm not sure if I like it as much and am now wondering if i shouldn't just go back to the Drawing Board and start over!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

That's better than the first set, I think, but have you thought about making the scales bigger? There are some nice-looking kite designs that use a big, bold fishscale motif ... it might be worth a try!

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Disembodied wrote:
have you thought about making the scales bigger?
Ah! Now that's a thought.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Progress report:-
I'm still working on the Moray's, with my current thoughts tending towards a more subtle (reptilian?) scale effect, perhaps like this.

To avoid getting too bogged down, I've moved on and have been working on the Python variants. Below are prospective versions of the standard Python, Blackdog (pirate), and Trader variant.

I've also had a quick look at the Sidewinder, below.

All need a bit of 'dressing' and tweaking, but are a fair idea of how the final versions will probably look.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Yes, the Moray looks much better. Like the 'reptilian scales'. :)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Agree with JazHaz, the Moray looks great. You hit the nail on that one. BZ.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

they all look great! i agree, the new moray skin is very nice, maybe you could re-use your earlier one for the thargoids, maybe increase the scale of the pattern a bit so it's not quite so 'busy'?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like them. :D
Griff wrote:
... the new moray skin is very nice, maybe you could re-use your earlier one for the thargoids,...
Griff, you must be psychic, that's exactly what I was thinking. 'T' is next, so watch this space...