Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

iTunes playlist suggestions

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

iTunes playlist suggestions

Post by maik »

Hi,

what music do you have in your Oolite-Docking, Oolite-Docked, and Oolist-Inflight playlists?

I'm currently listening to Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: I. Morning Mood for the docking sequence. It maintains the mood of Blue Danube but I like it even better.

While docked I listen to Stompin' At The Savoy, it reminds me of the cantina atmosphere in Star Wars.

My inflight playlist is still empty, hI aven't found anything that fits the mood yet...
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

Hmm, I mostly let iTunes play in the background on the normal partyshuffle/iTunes DJ... Most of my songs are imported as MP3, which don't work in Oolite as far as I know.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

As far as I can tell, Oolite only instructs iTunes to play the specific playlists when you set Music in the config screen to iTunes, so it doesn't even know whether a song is mp3 or aac or whatever else iTunes knows.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Because I used to play Elite in 1984 on the BBC Micro whilst listening to Jean Michel Jarre, I often stick that on for old time's sake.
It has a suitably spacey feel.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

On the Random Docking Music OXP thread, we discuss this same topic.

My choice is The Symphonic Marches of John Williams, performed by Her Majesty's Royal Marines Band, from their album, The Best of the Royal Marines.

It's a medley of film music. Starts with the music from Indiana Jones, second is the Imperial March from Star Wars.

On a typical docking sequence you get the Imperial March as you are coming into dock! Very Star Wars like! 8)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

JazHaz wrote:
It's a medley of film music. Starts with the music from Indiana Jones, second is the Imperial March from Star Wars.
A medley of different music by John Williams....? How can you tell which tune is which!!! :lol:
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Wiggy wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
A medley of different music by John Williams....? How can you tell which tune is which!!! :lol:
:roll: :evil:
LSDS
Poor
Poor

Post by LSDS »

Just about anything from Orbital puts me in the right mood. I'm planning to rip my Baramundi CD soon and add that to my playlist as well.

I love John Williams' music. Vader's theme would be great in a dog fight. Most of Queen's Flash Gordon ost would work for that as well. dun dun dun dun dun Flash! Ah-ah!

EDIT: Thought of some more while going through my playlists and cds.

Brian Eno and Richard Souther are both good choices for me when I'm feeling mellow. If you're in the mood for some jazz maybe try the Cowboy Bebop ost. I'd love to add that to my music library.
“John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting.”—Benedict Valda, Warehouse 13
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

LSDS wrote:
...would be great in a dog fight.
Yes, it would be wonderful if there were different playlists for status green, yellow, and red, with nice cross-fading between them ;-)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

maik wrote:
Yes, it would be wonderful if there were different playlists for status green, yellow, and red, with nice cross-fading between them ;-)
Feel free to file an enhancement request with Apple. Go ahead, I’ll wait.
LSDS
Poor
Poor

Post by LSDS »

Ahruman wrote:
Well, you've piqued my curiosity. What sort of changes would need to be made to iTunes for something like this to work? Were you referring to the cross-fading or the status playlists? Or both?

Just curious. It'd be groovy to have separate playlists based on status. It's a bit disappointing if there's a technical issue on Apple's end that would first need to be addressed before this could happen.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm still ecstatic after playing this wonderful version of the game for the first time a few days ago. I'm having fun that I haven't experienced since playing Elite for that last time on my old C-64. And it's given me an excuse to finally rip my ambient and other electronica CDs. :D
“John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting.”—Benedict Valda, Warehouse 13
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

There’s no way of getting iTunes to cross-fade at arbitrary points, and I’m pretty sure there’s no way to make it switch playlists without stopping the current song, except by mucking about with iTunes DJ settings (which would be rather invasive).
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Besides, I get basic iTunes integration on Windows before you get that fance-schmancy stuff. :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Ahruman wrote:
maik wrote:
I'll put it on my Santa Claus wish list. Together with the auto-DJ'ing speed adaption of songs :D
LSDS
Poor
Poor

Post by LSDS »

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that, Ahruman.
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Besides, I get basic iTunes integration on Windows before you get that fance-schmancy stuff. :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, I forgot about the Win version. You can always do what I used to do while playing Elite back in the day. Wait, do they still publish music on cassette? :P