After ATI driver troubles now there's NVidia killerdriver...

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

After ATI driver troubles now there's NVidia killerdriver...

Post by Screet »

Hi,

since I'd guess that pretty many people here are running oolite on nvidia cards due to previous ATI driver troubles with OpenGL, I do wonder how it's here with the effects of NVidia finally failing with their drivers.

"196.75 Alert!
We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers do not download this driver. Instead, please stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our website and we also are asking our partners and others to remove temporarily this 196.75 WHQL driver as well."
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I installed that driver when it came out, shortly tested Crysis for 2 min (without problem, but also without the speed gain) and didn't run anymore games before I read that the driver had been removed and the warning about it killings GPUs spread. I went back to the previous driver...

Today I finally got my boards BIOS updated, set things up there, finally took some time for serious playing (Crysis) and ended in a BSOD crysis (STOP 124 IIRC). Went reading on the manufacturers board, downloaded a burn in test (Kombustor) and noticed that the system froze when the GPU1 reaches 96 or 97 degrees C. That's pretty hot, the fan was running well, but it had it's reserves. However, I've read specs that say the max temperature for a GTX 295 is 105 degrees C.

CPU and IOH are pretty cold (max 60C), reducing RAM and QPI speed didn't change anything...but it's perfectly reproducible: As soon as the GPU1 hits 96/97C things crash...

So, either there's some new strange bug (my system was stable before) or that killerdriver seems to have done it's work?!?

Anyone else?

EDIT: Looks now like my first thought was right - BIOS update and changed settings (even after trying to go back to those before the update) was causing Crysis problems - and the Kombustor test might have failed me before. It's doing something extremely different, concerning heat production. With Crysis I had fan speed 51%, GPU load 40-97%, heat almost constant 85C while Kombustor leads to GPU load 92-93%, fan speed 70-80%, heat 96C+ (heat caused crash)...PHEW. That's something I can deal with, Oolite doesn't create such an OpenGL load and when I find out why Crysis now fails with the new mobo BIOS I can adjust settings...

Screet