What's the Oolite website worth?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

What's the Oolite website worth?

Post by Selezen »

I was browsing across the web when I found a site called yourwebsitevalue.com. It evaluates the potential income a website can make based on its traffic...

Oolite.org could potentially make $4,600 a year. I don't know exactly how, but it's pretty cool!

Aegidian.org could make $4,207...

:-)

Not that we would do something like that...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

On the subject of costs and statistics, Ohloh, an open source projects monitoring and statistics site, has a cost calculator which estimates how much it would cost to hire a team to write a project from scratch and reports the following for Oolite, based on developer team size, codebase etc.:

Effort (est.) 71 Person Years
Avg. Salary $55,000 year
Project cost: $ 3,889,702

Of course this is all wild approximation and purely hypothetical, but I thought it was quite interesting as an indicator of the size of the project. Full details for anyone interested here: http://www.ohloh.net/p/oolite
Last edited by another_commander on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Generally speaking I'm against using advertising here. But my feelings are slightly blunted by having just paid £60 for this year's hosting of the BB.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

aegidian wrote:
Generally speaking I'm against using advertising here. But my feelings are slightly blunted by having just paid £60 for this year's hosting of the BB.
You could put a little paypal button somewhere - I'd chuck a few quid into the pot to keep the site going...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hehehe.. great minds, and all that.. I just PM'd aegidian with almost the exact same wording.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
aegidian wrote:
You could put a little paypal button somewhere - I'd chuck a few quid into the pot to keep the site going...
Maybe even with a little (!) progress pie-chart how much of the year's hosting costs are covered?
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I could toss in nice American dollars.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Corny wrote:
Maybe even with a little (!) progress pie-chart how much of the year's hosting costs are covered?
In the UK it's traditional to use a big cardboard thermometer ...
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I'd happily pitch in. If this could lead us down to some of the upgrades and integration that's been mentioned previously, it'd be worth every dollar.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

aegidian wrote:
Oops! I’d completely forgotten. The old Oolite.org site had a donate button. When I set up oolite.org I was planning to take over forum hosting, but my attempts to port the database failed messily.

Even dumber, I forgot to link to the official Oolite swag shop. :-( The lesson: if I’m supposed to be getting things done, I need the occasional kicking. Don’t be afraid to be the one swinging the boot.

(For reference, my total Oolite-related costs are 89 kr/year for the domain, or £ 8.30. Hosting is a mix of free BerliOS and excess capacity on a hosting account.)

Advertising is an issue because it implies “commercial venture”, a concept we don’t want anywhere near Oolite. Resurrecting the donate button would be less problematic. In addition to Oolite.org, BerliOS has an option to integrate a PayPal donation link in project pages. Anyway, if you (Giles) want me to set this up, e-mail me.

Everyone else: the donation button on the archived old site probably still works.
another_commander wrote:
Project cost: $ 3,889,702
Don’t forget that this includes SpiderMonkey.
Last edited by JensAyton on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Trigg »

That Thargoid fridge magnet http://www.cafepress.co.uk/Oolite.12576431# looks good!

I may have to order a couple by way of a donation when I get home next week...
Now over 1000 confirmed kills. Bring on the bad guys!
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Many thanks for everyone's help.

"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
Everyone else: the donation button on the archived old site probably still works.
Probably I am just dumb (or blind), but I don't see the donation button?!?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
Probably I am just dumb (or blind), but I don't see the donation button?!?
Left hand side, below navigation.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

There's a problem with that page. It only scrolls the main body, NOT the menu. And if the menu is larger than your resolution (as in my case) - you don't see the donate button.