Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Automatic OXP updates?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Belgarath
Above Average
Above Average

Automatic OXP updates?

Post by Belgarath »

I have installed fairly large amount of OXPs.
Once in a while I check for updates of the OXPs, but the more I install the more tedious that becomes.

Is there an application available that will check for updates of installed OXPs automatically?

Thnx,
Remklep
BBC Micro Elite "Deadly"-rated
Nijik
Competent
Competent

Post by Nijik »

Bit of a HOoly Grail this, think the problem is the numerous different download locations of the Oxp's.
I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge than I will give you a more informative answer or you could have a search, it's a fairly regular request.

The last few posts on page 2 of this topic should give you a bit more of a clue, especially Thargoids:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7483
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

The short answer is - no tool, no info. Unfortunately. Currently there's a discussion (again) about restructing the WIKI's OXP-table, but until someone will do it, you'll have to check this BB more frequently to get the latest news about oxps and updates. The WIKI itself has a 'Recent changes' page, check this regularly too.

And welcome onboard .-)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

WOW I can't write! Sorry let me fix that. One too many glasses of red I think!

It could be done. Much like podcasting and journals, a programme could be construced to interrogate oxps and update to an xml document. From there, users who subscribe to it would receive the option to update. It could probably work off time stamping, although it is a little bit more complex than that, given versions of oolite and the cross platform nature of the game.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Once my centralised OXP repository is up and running, something like you're asking for should be possible. My plan is that you will be able to subscribe to update notifications... exact details of just how it will work are yet to be determined. RSS feeds and emails are likely methods.. possibly someone could even code an app to access RSS feeds directly and notify you.. (not sure on this detail, I'm still learning as I go)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Belgarath
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Belgarath »

Diziet Sma,

That sounds very interesting, thanks for taking the time and effort for creating such a service to us Oolitians.

I'm looking forward to trying out the website.

Remklep
BBC Micro Elite "Deadly"-rated
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Belgarath wrote:
I'm looking forward to trying out the website.
So am I.. don't hold your breath, it's likely still several months away..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied