Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

RFC - Centralised OXP hosting

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

another_commander wrote:
...would be like saying 'PIN number'.
I use my PIN number at the ATM machines :P

I actually call them ATM machines, even though I know the "M" in ATM stands for machine hehe
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Commander McLane wrote:
Another point against Drupal could be that it was the system used on the twice! crashed Oosat2.
I'm interested in knowing which version of Drupal? I thought Oosat2 was quite old now. And then which database engine used as Drupal will support several. What was the cause of the crash? Drupal or the database?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

ADCK wrote:
another_commander wrote:
...would be like saying 'PIN number'.
I use my PIN number at the ATM machines :P

I actually call them ATM machines, even though I know the "M" in ATM stands for machine hehe
Lloyds insist i make my cheques payable to "lloyds TSB Bank" ~ despite the B already referring to the bank. it annoys me.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

In defence of OOXPS, the idea was the "joke" OO.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

PhantorGorth wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Another point against Drupal could be that it was the system used on the twice! crashed Oosat2.
I'm interested in knowing which version of Drupal? I thought Oosat2 was quite old now. And then which database engine used as Drupal will support several. What was the cause of the crash? Drupal or the database?
Can't say. I seem to remember that something caused a data corruption.

You could dig here in the forums, there was of course quite some communication here when it happened. Querying "Oosat2" and "crashed" or "down" or something of the like will certainly lead you to more information.

Or you could ask Winston.
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

My www.superbit.hr is built on Joomla and I'm very satisfied with it, never lost any data and only hurdle in 2,5 years was migrating from 1.0.x to 1.5.x. Lot's of plugins and free themes for the lazy ones. :)
Last edited by goran on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by seventh »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Seventh, thanks very much for your willingness to contribute your skills. I agree with you about readability, however, I'm hoping to achieve something a little more exciting/appealing than, say, fallout3nexus.com or tesnexus.com for example. (as an aside here, maybe think retro.. remember the old orange on black monochrome monitors? That was easy on the eyes, I've often set up my development environments that way) If you like, I'll leave that to you and your imagination to see what you can come up with. There's no rush, I expect it will take me at least 6 weeks to check out CMS options before I can even start coming to grips with learning the package I decide to run with... Could you please elaborate on your comment about "no common language with Joomla", as I don't quite understand what you're getting at.
I believe we will take the right decision about colors together

I couldn't understand how to make a several templates for one site in Joomla
For example, is's pretty easy in CMS Made Simple or WP. For each page you can use unique layout, if it's necessary. Maybe I'm wrong about Joomla, but I decided not to waste the time and prefered more friendly to me CMSs.

ooxps is nice domain name.

Maybe ooxps.org as the main, and ooxps.com and .net as synonyms. They are free now.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Commander McLane wrote:
PhantorGorth wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Can't say. I seem to remember that something caused a data corruption.

You could dig here in the forums, there was of course quite some communication here when it happened. Querying "Oosat2" and "crashed" or "down" or something of the like will certainly lead you to more information.

Or you could ask Winston.
I looked back and found the relevant posts. It was caused by corrupted MySQL database tables. Assuming that 'corruption' implies a low level issue rather than something such as erroneous deletion of records, I would assume that it wasn't Drupal's fault. And I wouldn't therefore rule out Drupal. More likely a driver issue. Though you may want to reconsider MySQL, but then again by now any driver issue or database issue have probably been ironed out.

I think it really goes to show that the backup strategy is rather important and according to Diziet Sma that's already covered.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Umm it might be a bit late to ask this, but might it be worth making the distinction between central hosting of OXPs, and central databasing of OXPs?

For the most part people use box.net or equivalent for hosting OXPs where they don't have their own sites, and generally that works well enough. It only goes wrong when people let their accounts die, which is usually a sign that they're not into supporting OXPs any more anyway.

In my opinion what is lacking is not the hosting per-se, but the way of searching/updating OXPs, which has nothing to do with hosting them. The weak link at the moment is the OXP list on the wiki, as it's difficult to control and update and a pain to use for checking you're up to date with everything.

Plus also on a personal note would it not be better to ask OXP makers if they actually want to host their stuff elsewhere? Personally I like having my stuff still under my control, plus all of the stats etc that box.net provides. I'd have to hear a compelling argument to move them elsewhere, as at the moment for me box.net isn't broken so I don't see the need to fix it by hosting stuff elsewhere...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid wrote:
In my opinion what is lacking is not the hosting per-se, but the way of searching/updating OXPs, which has nothing to do with hosting them. The weak link at the moment is the OXP list on the wiki, as it's difficult to control and update and a pain to use for checking you're up to date with everything.

Plus also on a personal note would it not be better to ask OXP makers if they actually want to host their stuff elsewhere? Personally I like having my stuff still under my control, plus all of the stats etc that box.net provides. I'd have to hear a compelling argument to move them elsewhere, as at the moment for me box.net isn't broken so I don't see the need to fix it by hosting stuff elsewhere...
Second that.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
Plus also on a personal note would it not be better to ask OXP makers if they actually want to host their stuff elsewhere? Personally I like having my stuff still under my control, plus all of the stats etc that box.net provides.
For my personal stuff I agree, but there is a lot of abandoned work out there. From a lot of it I have better, fixed versions but I don't want to host fixed versions myself. (Or I'll hit my bandwidth limit soon). With a centralised database it would be easier to maintain old work.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Plus also on a personal note would it not be better to ask OXP makers if they actually want to host their stuff elsewhere? Personally I like having my stuff still under my control, plus all of the stats etc that box.net provides.
For my personal stuff I agree, but there is a lot of abandoned work out there. From a lot of it I have better, fixed versions but I don't want to host fixed versions myself. (Or I'll hit my bandwidth limit soon). With a centralised database it would be easier to maintain old work.
Yupp. Second that. And Diziet's offer is pretty generous. But what happens then to the WIKI?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Would any of this discussion allow for thinking about an automatic mass downloader/updater for oxps?

This was debated last year as a solution for people who want to play with many oxps at once and don't have to download 250+ oxps one by one, then.

If a new template for the oxp library is being done, perhaps the option to download and/or update "all checked box oxps" in one go could be created?

Edit: Just saw that the wish doesn't seem to be mine alone ...

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7492
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

regarding abandoned oxp's....

dont take this the wrong way, its only a thought but IF an oxp is going to be linked on the wiki, could an agreement not be made in advance that, should a link die for more than a set time limit - say a month - or an incompatible oxp not fixed without an updated WIP this would be deemed to be an abandoned oxp and then it could automatically be added to an abandoned oxp list and then someone else is allowed to maintain it.

if a person decided they no longer wanted their oxp to be out there, it would be up to them to take the initiative and request its removal, rather than the other way round.

My logic is, if people really dont want it to die, they will keep on top of it, keep the link alive and keep it compatible. if for some reason they want to retire from its upkeep for a while the onus would be on them to put a note saying leave alone, rather than the other way round, that way if people simply get bored and wander off, a good idea will not die.
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.