Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Question Re: Speech

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Horton
Poor
Poor

Question Re: Speech

Post by Commander Horton »

Hi All,

First post here - was just wondering if it's possible to have the actual content of Comms Log messages spoken, instead of just the standard "Incoming Message" announcement.
Last edited by Commander Horton on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hi there Commander! :D

Not without major tinkering, I'm afraid... Don't think it's possible to script, so you'd have to re-write parts of the main game code.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Corny has put together an OXP of spoken messages for the crew of your ship. Not exactly what you are looking for but close!

See here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7261
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Question Re: Speech

Post by JensAyton »

Commander Horton wrote:
First post here - was just wondering if it's possible to have the actual content of Comms Log messages spoken, insted of just the standard "Message Recieved" announcement.
Interesting… console messages are spoken, but comms messages are not. I’ve never really used or worked on speech synthesis, so I hadn’t noticed. I wonder why Aegidian chose to do it that way? Answers on a postcard to…
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I think it's because comms messages came after Oolite began to be ported to platforms with no easy speech synthesis - so I simply left it out.

Feel free to add it in.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Commander Horton
Poor
Poor

Post by Commander Horton »

aegidian wrote:
I think it's because comms messages came after Oolite began to be ported to platforms with no easy speech synthesis - so I simply left it out.

Feel free to add it in.
Thanks for the responses guys. I think it would be a great feature to add as I personally find it very distracting to be told in the middle of a dogfight: "Incoming Message" and then have to find time to stop and read it while at the same time trying to stay alive! :mrgreen: