Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Sunskimming Question

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Sunskimming Question

Post by JazHaz »

My new Jameson just went sunskimming, needed to scratch his infestation... :wink:

Not having done any sunskimming since Elite, want to know how you get the cabin temperature down.... Once I hit the red and eased my problem, started heading away from the sun, but the temp kept rising....

Should I have flown away at max speed on injectors, or should I have dropped my speed and slowly left the sun. Thought it would be the latter as I must've been in the corona and figured dropping my speed would decrease the atmospheric friction....?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

hit your jets and get out fast.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Even though you are going away, the temp will still rise somewhat until you get far enough away, so hit the injectors and get away as fast as you can.

Or buy some extra heat shielding
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Thanks for the replies, now to go away and reload since first run ended with my BBQ meal floating in a tight orbit around the sun....! :wink: :lol:
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

My theory is that it's not atmospheric friction as much as it is that temperature change is not instantaneous. The same process that allows people to walk on hot coals (if you walk fast enough for a short enough distance, the temperature doesn't have time to rise high enough to burn your feet), is at work,
even though the outside temperature is cooling, your ship still takes time to cool.
Also when you pull a roast from the oven, I've been advised that the inside is still cooking for about 10 minutes afterwards.
Nijik
Competent
Competent

Post by Nijik »

I've found, thanks to this site, it's safer to rid yourself of said infestations by skimming through a planets atmosphere.
Takes a little longer but easier to find the right spot and skim until clean.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Chrisfs wrote:
My theory is that it's not atmospheric friction as much as it is that temperature change is not instantaneous.
There are 2 heating effects, if you are in an atmosphere you do get frictional heating, but near starts you get warmed by radiation. The region in which you get heated is far larger than that in which you can scoop.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

If, the moment you have filled your tanks, you then jump to your pre-selected destination - you will have the cabin temperature immediately plummet, with no more heat inertia.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"Extra" heat shielding? i thought you could only have one set fitted, the set that actually allows you to get close enough to skim?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Killer Wolf wrote:
"Extra" heat shielding? i thought you could only have one set fitted, the set that actually allows you to get close enough to skim?
Yes, that's what we're talking about. But whatever gave you the impression that you cannot sunskim without it? The Heat Shield makes it a little easier, but rest assured, it is by no means a necessity for sunskimming. (Or else there would have been no sunskimming in old Elite, where Heat Shields simply didn't exist; or in strict mode, for that matter.)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

(Killer Wolf);

WITHOUT heat shielding, sunskimming is "a little dangerous". You MIGHT be able to escape destruction by veering away from the sun AS SOON AS the tanks are full, aimed STREIGHT AWAY (perpendicular so as to get the most cooling-down), at NORMAL speed (without injectors, or jumping)... I was able to do it a couple of times. You need to go to hyperspeed AS SOON AS the status light turns green, when you are far enough away and have gained enough altitude.

WITH heat shielding, its is very easy with practice, and when your cabin starts to cool, you still have a full tank of fuel (versus using some of it with the injectors, or jumping) to get away.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Once you've approached the sun, and are in the fuel collection zone - the corona I suppose - you'll continue scooping fuel even if you turn around (for as long as you remain in the corona).

I've never tried it without heat shielding though!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i thought i tried it and kept exploding and someone said you had to buy heat shields to do it? i'll have to skeg through my past posts! i know i used to go low, hit the red bar and still the scoop didn't activate. oh well. mebbes it was just my technique :-/
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i thought i tried it and kept exploding and someone said you had to buy heat shields to do it? i'll have to skeg through my past posts! i know i used to go low, hit the red bar and still the scoop didn't activate. oh well. mebbes it was just my technique :-/
My understanding is that without the shields, some suns are too hot to scoop and others are not (but not by much)
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

perhaps the size of the sun is an indicator -- or the size of the corona?