HUD "resetting" upon buying new ship?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

HUD "resetting" upon buying new ship?

Post by JeffBTX »

This might not be a bug, it might be a "feature".

In \Addons\Config, I have a customized hud.plist; basically a copy of the default hud.plist from \Resources\Config. Among 2 other things, for the heck of it I enabled the yaw indicator by UNcommenting it out. It looked Ok while I was flying in a Cobra Mk III.

For the heck of it (not intending this to be permanent, mind you), I traded in for an Adder just to see what would happen.

What happened is that I got an Adder.
:lol:

BUT the hud "reset" to the default hud, and it looked smaller / it shrinked a bit. And of course just one energy unit versus 4...

Note: I didn't bother saving my game and reloading (who knows, the modified hud.plist in \Addons might have taken over again upon loading).

Or would I had to have flushed the cache to "give" the Adder the modified hud?
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

If I recall this right, Adder uses the small HUD, which is different from Cobra mk III's HUD.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Zieman is correct. The Adder is using a different HUD file. Same for the Cobra MKI.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The HUD-file to use for any ship is specified in the ship's shipdata.plist. And there the player Adder has defined smallhud.plist.

If there is no HUD specified in shipdata.plist, it defaults to hud.plist, which is what you had with your previous ship. But the Adder already has a "special" HUD, so you need to redefine it to give it another special HUD.

BTW, it uses a small HUD, because it is a small ship with a narrow cockpit. A normal sized HUD wouldn't fit. :wink:

If you want to give it a different HUD, you have to either change the definition in the Adder's shipdata, or rename your HUD of choice to smallhud.plist. The recommended way to change the Adder's shipdata is to not change them, but to place a file shipdata-overrides.plist into your AddOns folder, which only overrides the HUD definition. So:

Code: Select all

{
     "adder-player" =
     {
          "hud" = "hud.plist";
     }
}
(or whatever the name of your chosen HUD is).
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Thanks all - I understand now.

( I didn't know that the Oolite default hud had different versions for different ships.)
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!