Annoyance

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Annoyance

Post by ADCK »

Was trying to do Galactic Navy reserve missions, but it seems some other oxp is making it impossible to do them, every single time i go into a battle with the navy fleet vs thargoid fleet one of the thargoids will randomly:

"we boom all your bases poet"
"Five"
"Four"
"Three"
"Two"
"One"
"Kaboom Poet"

and of course, Q-Mine goes off and kills both fleets, and breaks the AI of any survivors**. And to make it twice as annoying the thargoids are speaking perfect english and using that god-awful "all your bases" line.

Which oxp is doing this? So I can delete it.

**Incorrect, turns out one of the GalacticNavy OXP thagoids doesn't have an AI set, thats why they were doing nothing.
Last edited by ADCK on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

SecondWave... mineTharglet [Deleted]
That solves that then :P
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yup. And it's actually at quite a low probability, and should check for the presence of other Thargoid motherships before doing so.

So I'm a little surprised that it's happening "every single time i go into a battle with the navy fleet vs thargoid fleet"
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Thargoid wrote:
Yup. And it's actually at quite a low probability, and should check for the presence of other Thargoid motherships before doing so.

So I'm a little surprised that it's happening "every single time i go into a battle with the navy fleet vs thargoid fleet"
There were around 50 thargoids, each one carrying at least 5 thargons (some carried 10) Which upped the odds of a mineTharglet considerably, Am still using 2ndwave, just not the q-mine thargons.

(exactly 50 since i've heavily edited GalacticNavy OXP) :

Code: Select all

case "FLEET_INTERCEPT":
		{
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("intercept-asp", 4, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.03], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("intercept-behemoth", 1, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.03], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("intercept-frigate", 4, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.03], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("intercept-medship", 2, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.03], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("intercept-transport", 3, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.03], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("intercept-sweeper", 2, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.03], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("intercept-viper", 4, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.03], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("picket-reserve", 7, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.03], 1000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("reserve-talker", 1, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.03], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("thargoid", 15, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.15], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("thargoid-mothership", 5, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.15], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("galnav-thargoid", 15, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.15], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("galnav-thargcruiser", 10, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.15], 5000);
			system.legacy_addShipsWithinRadius("galnav-thargbatship", 5, "wpu", [0, 0, -0.15], 5000);
			this.reserve_enemy_ships = 50;
			break;
		}
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You could reduce the probability of a mineTharglet by editing its shipdata and further reducing its weight.

I had the similar problem when playtesting Cataclysm. There you also get battles with a lot of Thargoids, and as they are so many tharglets launched, the probabability of one of them being a mine approaches 1. Problem is that in certain situations a cascading explosion makes it impossible to finish your mission (like when the station you need to dock with after battle is exploding in the cascade). Because I cannot expect all players of Cataclysm to edit SecondWave.oxp, I dealt with it via script. In certain stages of Cataclysm all cascading devices are disabled (removed) by a timer which scans for them at least every five seconds. Perhaps Galactic Navy.oxp could need a protection mechanism of this kind as well? At least the heavily edited version with lots of Thargoids?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:

Really, in witchspace they do this a lot with other base ships present.

Hmm...and during the reserve missions at some point (before changes to second wave) I got so annoyed that I began to use a cascade missile while the thargoids were still far enough away from the navy fleet and somehow did not leave that habit, so I can't tell how often it's there happening after the changes to second wave...

Screet