OpenGL Extensions Viewer / Shader Support

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

OpenGL Extensions Viewer / Shader Support

Post by JazHaz »

From help GREEN HORN WITH NEW OOLITE CRASHES-fixed thread:
Kaks wrote:
...you might have a dodgy opengl installation.
We can still help. Can you download and run the OpenGL Extensions Viewer for Windows XP / Vista? It's here:
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

If you click Rendering tests on the left-hand side pane, then click the " > " / play button on the main pane, it should show some rotating cubes for a while then it'll display a summary like this one:

If we have that kind of info (which was the highest number in the test column that gives a Passed result, and whatever you have instead of GeForce Go 7300/....) we should be able to help you get your system going!
I'm getting an error message on running the render tests:

If I press Continue it doesn't show me the results as in Kaks' screenshot in the quote.

Here are the details of my system, as reported in the OpenGL Extensions Viewer:

It implies under the DirectX section, that my system can use shaders, but Oolite doesn't use them.

I've have today updated my graphics driver to the latest version, but I only have OpenGL v1.5. Could this be the reason I'm not getting shader support?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Shaders require OpenGL 2.0, so having version 1.5 is the main reason for not having them. Also, SiS chipsets are ufortunately known for their all around horrendousness and it is an exercise in vanity trying to support them. To tell you the truth, I am not surprised that OpenGL Extensions Viewer crashes on the rendering test. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Booo! :(
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’m not big on Direct3D terminology, but I believe shader model 2.0 is insufficient for a full implementation of GLSL. There is a simpler shading system for OpenGL, “ARB shaders”, but this is not supported by Oolite.

another_commander is incorrect: while OpenGL 2.0 has GLSL as a core feature, it can also be implemented as an extension in OpenGL 1.5 (and Oolite supports it if it is).

I agree that the crash is likely to be caused by the infamous SiS drivers.
ngoj
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

What is this?

Post by ngoj »

I downloaded and started viewer. It counts, counts and ends eventualy.
What does it do? Should I read some listning file?
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

My laptop (Toshiba) has the Intel 965 Express chipset. I've tried downloading the latest driver for it, but it refuses as the current driver is (presumabely a Toshiba) propriety onr. The analyser reports I've got OpenGL 1.5. How do I add the GLSL extention to it, or upgrade to 2.0?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

NigelJK wrote:
My laptop (Toshiba) has the Intel 965 Express chipset. I've tried downloading the latest driver for it, but it refuses as the current driver is (presumabely a Toshiba) propriety onr. The analyser reports I've got OpenGL 1.5. How do I add the GLSL extention to it, or upgrade to 2.0?
Are you installing the drivers as administrator? You should be able to uninstall the old drivers from Control Panel, then reboot and install the new ones. It would be a good idea to make a system restore point before attempting anything, though.
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

I've managed to manually install the actual driver (using the manual install instructions provided by intel). However it is still only reporting 1.5 OGL. Any ideas, or is this as far as I can go?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

If that's the latest driver available, which I think your earlier post implied, then I'd say you've gone as far as you can.. Intel support for OpenGL is not too good, unfortunately.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Intel does support OpenGL 2.0 in their drivers. I have the 965M chipset and with driver version 6.15.10.4990 (win2k_xp14371.exe is the driver installation file), OpenGL is being reported as version 2.0.0.