Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Missile launch AI

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Missile launch AI

Post by JazHaz »

I've been wondering if it is possible to improving the AI for missiles.

Specifically the way that when you attack a ship and it is carrying missiles, quite often the instant you make a laser hit they launch a missile. Instantly!

Hardly realistic! A human commander has to find and target the ship attacking and then launch the missile, a few seconds that should take.

So then I think that a way to do it would be to delay the launch of a missile with a random delay time?

What do you think?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

They've obviously got Target Autolock installed ;)

In my experience it's not that common for missile-armed NPC ships to fire when first hit with lasers, to be honest.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I hadn't experienced that, though I have seen some missles take what seems like forever to hit a target.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Weird, if anything I seem to have the opposite thought to JazHaz: sometimes NPCs seem to wait too long before firing their missiles...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Kaks wrote:
Weird, if anything I seem to have the opposite thought to JazHaz: sometimes NPCs seem to wait too long before firing their missiles...
Strange!

Unless someone has fixed this in an OXP and not told anyone?! Perhaps in Random Hits or something. Only just installed that two mins ago! :)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Second Wave makes some of the Thargoids more prone to firing off their Thargons (which are launched as missiles). I can't think of any OXP which adjusts the trunk AI's though, other than Eric's periodic ones which are semi-testers for when they get rolled up into the next trunk version.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Weird, the firing of missiles seems to be pretty random for me, perhaps one of the addons you're using is altering the default ai for missiles?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

ADCK wrote:
Weird, the firing of missiles seems to be pretty random for me, perhaps one of the addons you're using is altering the default ai for missiles?
The chance of a NPC firing a missile is very strongly related to its energy. With full energy they are not likely to fire missiles on the first shot. (Unless they have a bit to many loaded)
Last edited by Eric Walch on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Missile launch AI

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
I've been wondering if it is possible to improving the AI for missiles.

Specifically the way that when you attack a ship and it is carrying missiles, quite often the instant you make a laser hit they launch a missile. Instantly!

Hardly realistic! A human commander has to find and target the ship attacking and then launch the missile, a few seconds that should take.

So then I think that a way to do it would be to delay the launch of a missile with a random delay time?

What do you think?
Maybe they already had targeted a missile and were keeping it handy just in case.. From the behaviour I've seen, I consider it as if the pilot had pre-targeted me with a missile, and when things got too hot for him, he fired the missile in an attempt to divert me and give his shields a chance to build up.

For that matter, if I see a ship that seems suspicious, but isn't currently a threat, I'll often put a missile lock on him as a precaution. That way, if he later shows an antisocial attitude, it saves precious seconds in the heat of battle.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied