Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

sending Ian and David a late Christmas pressy

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Should a pdf copy of the vector maps be sent to the creators of Elite?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Yes (it all seems a little calmer now)
25%
Yes (but wipe off the oolite logo to play it safe)
14%
Yes (but just to Ian as he seems pretty cool)
4%
No (better safe than sorry)
57%

Total votes: 28

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

sending Ian and David a late Christmas pressy

Post by ClymAngus »

OK this is one I've been mulling over over Christmas. I realised it's too big becuase it might possibly effect many more people than me. Basically I thought it would be really cool to send the creators of Elite a copy of the vector maps we all just finished before Christmas.

I realise that this is controvertial considering the slightly unsettling legal too and fro over the years. That said it all seems to be calming down a bit. So Last time I'll ask and I'll abide by the forums disision.

So......
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

It might be a nice gesture to get ian bell a small gift (http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/faq.htm#A22) if anyone would like to say thanks for elite.

I would say the same for Braben, but I am unable to find a similar link.

Neither of them provide any info for people wishing to send "elite fanmail", so I suspect they arent that interested, but you never know.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

No,

Ian, cause he's super-crazy. (He breeds cats, likes to face paint and who knows what else. I'm serious, check out his web page!)
Sending him pressies may incite him to stalk you!

David, cause he's evil. (He made Frontier and FFE make me want to gouge my brains out...
and you just know he's going to make Elite4 have silly things like Newtonian Physics
and do stuff like put Lave in our galaxy and ruin the Lore in other ways...)
Sending him pressies may make him believe we're happy with him "ruining the classics"

:P
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Tis a sad day when the makers are excluded from the continured joy of their creation by the nature of their own action. So basically we fear David, and think Ian is a bit weird.

Poll will run for 50 days. In the event of a draw or close call we will err on the side of caution. Unless of course we get an oolite god decree, in which case those with the most to loose have the biggest say.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think (hope) Ian being crazy is a joke.

I dont see it as denying them, but seriously, look at Ians webpage, he specifically says, please read before emailing him, and doesnt once mention fanmail other than to say if you want to thank his, here are paypal and amazon wishlist details.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Yeah, I get you. I was being a touch retorical regarding the strangness of the situation. You have to admit that it is a little sad (tragic, ironic) that there is even a need to ask a question like this.

Still these are the times we live in. Unfortunate. :(
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Cmdr James wrote:
I think (hope) Ian being crazy is a joke.
Check out the background pic and the pic at the bottom. :P

http://home.clara.net/iancgbell/him/index.htm

Here's his page about cats:

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/cats/index.htm

You decide lol.
He's spent more time on his cats that he has releasing games, at least Braben still works in the industry and has released stuff since Elite...
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

So the man is a bit of a closet witch. Takes one to know one, he seems perfectly harmless to me. Well mostly harmless anyway.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

If had had the property and the resources, I would breed cats (at present only ONE cat "owns me", he's a bit of an oldster, 11+ years).

I want a super attack cat... with mutations! Say, tranquilizer glands in it's claws (or worse); one that can take on an intruder while quoting Shakespeare and Carl von Clausewitz!
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JeffBTX wrote:
If had had the property and the resources, I would breed cats (at present only ONE cat "owns me", he's a bit of an oldster, 11+ years).

I want a super attack cat... with mutations! Say, tranquilizer glands in it's claws (or worse); one that can take on an intruder while quoting Shakespeare and Carl von Clausewitz!
You mean like a certain board member? Image
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

JeffBTX wrote:

You need a 'Treecat' from the planet Sphinx in the Honorverse.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
JeffBTX wrote:

You mean like a certain board member? Image
The Cylon Cat is more of a construct than a mutation, but I'd take one. If he is anything like MY cat, He would probably call HIMSELF "Imperious Leader", though.
El Viejo wrote:
JeffBTX wrote:

You need a 'Treecat' from the planet Sphinx in the Honorverse.
On Earth (present time) we do have a Tree cat of sorts... catlike anyway... for making coffee. NOT that I would try this stuf:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak
(EDIT: They changed the page since I saw it last. Up until now, I hadn't heard of "Barking Deer Coffee"... towards the bottom under "Similar coffees")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Palm_Civet

EDIT: Sorry, getting off topic (severely)... it happens. I hereby chastise myself.
... and I finally cast a vote.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

JeffBTX wrote:
I want a super attack cat... with mutations!
Oh, so you'll be wanting a displacer beast then?

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

ADCK wrote:
You decide lol.
He's spent more time on his cats that he has releasing games, at least Braben still works in the industry and has released stuff since Elite...
Yep, he's been devoting his time to his passion instead of releasing a stream of 'innovative' games like Roller Coaster Tycoon, Darxide & Thrillville.(FD's release of Rollercoaster Tycoon was a particularly wtf moment for me)
And, afaik, he's always been supportive of all Elite's incarnations, including Elite:TNK.

Definitely mad. Absolutely. No doubt there.

So he's not that keen on old Mammon as others. Hey, if I'd had the money he got for Elite, I'd semi-retire too.

Integrity, madness, they can be so difficult to tell apart sometimes! :twisted:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"and you just know he's going to make Elite4 have silly things like Newtonian Physics
and do stuff like put Lave in our galaxy and ruin the Lore in other ways...) "

where was this mentioned? i suspected the Newtonian might be there given the other sequels but i haven't heard the Lave thing.