How I enjoyed myself

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

How I enjoyed myself

Post by Greyman »

The past two and a half weeks I had been ill with the flu (standard influenza, not swine flu!) and really not much else to do than playing Oolite on my Macbook while lying around on my couch - coughing and sneezing occasionally :-)

Since Real Life had been very busy the past six month I didn't have much time to play or do anything else besides work.

So why am I writing this? I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed Oolite those past two weeks and to give a very big thanks to everyone contributing to this fine project. Life would sometimes really be a much less colorful and a more boring place without Oolite.

I wish you all a Happy New Year 2010 with lots of Ooliting!
Get the Oolite Keymapper for Mac here!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:D The 'flu is sometimes Nature's way of saying: "Have a little rest, you clearly need it."
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hope it's better now? And be sure - we are enjoying this too .-)

Happy new year for you too!
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Goody Goody! I hope that *I* get the flu!

(hehehe) - not to worry Greyman - not to detract from the SPIRIT of your post. Ditto. I feel the same about this game.

(and no I don't REALLY want the flu, just in case some divine influence somewhere was listening)
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JeffBTX wrote:
Goody Goody! I hope that *I* get the flu!

(hehehe) - not to worry Greyman - not to detract from the SPIRIT of your post. Ditto. I feel the same about this game.

(and no I don't REALLY want the flu, just in case some divine influence somewhere was listening)
Two years ago I got the 'flu over Christmas, I ignored it, so Nature said, "you're still not resting? Have double pneumonia instead." - Six weeks in bed - 18 months before I had enough strength in my lungs or legs to go back to Taekwon-Do - I do not recommended it!
Selezen wrote:
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

When I was stationed in New England (Fort Devens Massachusetts USA) in the late 80's I actually contracted the real bona fide Swine Flu during the epidemic.

It was burning and ravaging it's way through New England colleges like a viking-ridden Capital One commercial.

I was hanging out with college kids those days (I WASN'T that old myself, really... like "everyone's weird army friend")... in my Society of Creative Anachronism / NeoPagan phase (and also I used to fence)... BUT, in the American army, yearly flu shots were mandatory...

I was "just a little sick". It was no big deal. I had been getting a regular flu shot for all of my adult life.

Now of course... I haven't had a flu shot since about... five years ago... AND I have chronic heart and lung problems. Two heart attacks, a heart surgery in 1998 and one in 2005. Some lung damage that was brought about by congestive heart failure.

So... when I go out I am careful about who I am around. I should just hold my breath more in public places.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JeffBTX wrote:
When I was stationed in New England (Fort Devens Massachusetts USA) in the late 80's I actually contracted the real bona fide Swine Flu during the epidemic.

It was burning and ravaging it's way through New England colleges like a viking-ridden Capital One commercial.

I was hanging out with college kids those days (I WASN'T that old myself, really... like "everyone's weird army friend")... in my Society of Creative Anachronism / NeoPagan phase (and also I used to fence)... BUT, in the American army, yearly flu shots were mandatory...

I was "just a little sick". It was no big deal. I had been getting a regular flu shot for all of my adult life.

Now of course... I haven't had a flu shot since about... five years ago... AND I have chronic heart and lung problems. Two heart attacks, a heart surgery in 1998 and one in 2005. Some lung damage that was brought about by congestive heart failure.

So... when I go out I am careful about who I am around. I should just hold my breath more in public places.
OK, you win! :wink: I do have the occasional spontaneous pneumathorox - so I never presume I've got a trapped nerve or a "stitch" when I get chest pains - but that's just a side effect of being tall, slim and asthmatic...
Selezen wrote:
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

< - asthma too, when I was younger. For the most part I outgrew it, except for some molds / pollens, and (my pet peeve) gasoline fumes (the fumes just make my lungs *CLAMP!* shut! Out with the inhaler!).

Take chest pains seriously. I had my first heart attack on July 8th, 1998. I didn't call for an ambulance until the 12th... 4 days laying on my left side in bed... (just in the NICK of time, apparantly). By the time I got there, my LAD (left anterior descending... probably the most important cardiac artery) was 100% obstructed. My RCA (right coronary artery) was 80% plugged up. One of the posterior arteries had several obstructions, ranging 60-80%. "They" (doctors) aren't sure ... my case was somewhat strange. "Like an explosion of blood clots". Basically - it hurt!
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

Reading all these posts makes me feel better alright! :D

I'm simply happy to be healthy again. The only drawback: It's back to work again which means less time for Oolite :-(
Get the Oolite Keymapper for Mac here!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JeffBTX wrote:
< - asthma too, when I was younger. For the most part I outgrew it, except for some molds / pollens, and (my pet peeve) gasoline fumes (the fumes just make my lungs *CLAMP!* shut! Out with the inhaler!).

Take chest pains seriously. I had my first heart attack on July 8th, 1998. I didn't call for an ambulance until the 12th... 4 days laying on my left side in bed... (just in the NICK of time, apparantly). By the time I got there, my LAD (left anterior descending... probably the most important cardiac artery) was 100% obstructed. My RCA (right coronary artery) was 80% plugged up. One of the posterior arteries had several obstructions, ranging 60-80%. "They" (doctors) aren't sure ... my case was somewhat strange. "Like an explosion of blood clots". Basically - it hurt!
Dicky tickers run in the family - although I'm only 38 I have regular checks for such things. So far, so good.
Selezen wrote:
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

I went for a 41 minute walk tonight. Last night I rode my exercycle for 33 minutes, 30 seconds and burned 605 calories.

I do have health issues. But, reading about the health issues of other people gives me a dose of perspective.

Here's to everyone's health! 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers