We're quite popular!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

We're quite popular!

Post by Kaks »

Don't quite know why, but quite a few people started downloading Oolite just recently... more than 4000 downloads in 3 days:

http://developer.berlios.de/project/sta ... up_id=3577 !

To be fair, this isn't anywhere near the most popular open source projects. Just looking at BerliOS, avidemux gets as many - if not more - downloads in just 1 day, but it's definitely not too bad either! :)

Yay for Oolite, may it go from strength to strength!
And who knows, we might even be dropping the M from MNSR in the new year! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

People giving the gift of Oolite this holiday season. Hopefully the word-of-mouth effect will be exponential :D

~~
Kaks, talk about syncronicity - I have been looking for an app like avidemux most of yesterday afternoon. I recorded Moby Dick off Channel 5 and the audio and video are very annoyingly < > out of sync. looks rather complicated but i think avidemux is the answer. sweet.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

lfnfan wrote:
People giving the gift of Oolite this holiday season. Hopefully the word-of-mouth effect will be exponential :D
Saw my brother over the holiday season. Demonstrated Oolite, and now he's playing it too and getting addicted all over again (since Elite I mean). Was quite jealous though as his PC is far superior to mine and runs with Shaders turned on! :(
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: We're quite popular!

Post by JazHaz »

Kaks wrote:
Don't quite know why, but quite a few people started downloading Oolite just recently... more than 4000 downloads in 3 days:

http://developer.berlios.de/project/sta ... up_id=3577
Does this include downloads from http://www.oolite.org/ or just the developers versions on Berlios?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: We're quite popular!

Post by another_commander »

JazHaz wrote:
Does this include downloads from http://www.oolite.org/ or just the developers versions on Berlios?
The downloads from oolite.org point to Berlios already, so I guess the numbers include visitors to oolite.org who download from there.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Btw, the Debian package statistics can be found here:
http://debs.oolite.org/webalizer/

Just general web server stats for that domain, I haven't got exact package download statistics. Still, it's some rough numbers to add to the pot.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

...and for historical reasons the old oolite pc package (1.65) can also be downloaded from the Oolite(OLD VERSION) project, also on BerliOS.

Nothing much tends to happen there of late (5-10 downloads a day), but the other day there were 1400 downloads!

Hmm, it looks like we've been slashdotted, or something... :P
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I don't know what is happening, but whatever it is, it's good. On the last day of 2009 alone, the project had 4,843 downloads (avidemux, beware!! :-)). I have seen that Oolite has been mentioned in PCWelt (I believe this is the German version of PCWorld?) together with 84 other freeware games, but I don't know if this was the "click" or something else.

Anyway, new year couldn't start better. Happy new year to all!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In the past week, we’ve had slightly increased traffic at oolite.org, mostly from Gamer.no (“Ten Cool Remakes”) and PlayDeb.net, but this adds up to only about a thousand “extra” visitors. Something’s linking directly to the projects (for which we have no referrer analytics), or there’s a bug in BerliOS’s reporting.
9000Parts
Average
Average

Post by 9000Parts »

I did post a link to a forum I use regularly (ww.uksaabs.co.uk) mentioning that I had stumbled across this game whilst on holiday. A few people said they had picked up a copy as a result but not sure they will account for more than 10 downloads though?

Got to say, highly addictive gaming made better by the cost (£0) and the OXPs available.

Thankyou, you ARE worthy! :lol:
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

9000Parts wrote:
I did post a link to a forum I use regularly (ww.uksaabs.co.uk) mentioning that I had stumbled across this game whilst on holiday. A few people said they had picked up a copy as a result but not sure they will account for more than 10 downloads though?

Got to say, highly addictive gaming made better by the cost (£0) and the OXPs available.

Thankyou, you ARE worthy! :lol:
That gives me a great idea for a last minuet gift: oolite on a disk!
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

4,000, thats loads, in 3 days ! thats amazing! wow, people must love oolite
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

So far this week (starting from Monday, it's not over yet) we've already got more than 10,000 downloads. :shock:

Most impressive! In the past few months we seem to have been hovering between 1,500 & 2,000 downloads per week, and that was already better than earlier months! :D
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Kaks wrote:
So far this week (starting from Monday, it's not over yet) we've already got more than 10,000 downloads. :shock:
My personal theory is that the various videos on YouTube is helping, for example this one from 2006 has had over 43,000 hits!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Brings up a good point, Oolite is obscure and hard to find, i only found out about it by complete accident.

I'm sure there are thousands of elite fans out there that don't have any knowlege of Oolites existance...

Perhaps it's a good idea to look into an advertising campaign?

Or would the developers rather Oolite remain an obscure game with a small cult following? :P ...