Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Can anyone identify these OXPs?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Can anyone identify these OXPs?

Post by JeffBTX »

I'm not sure which OXP's these are, and I am interested in downloading them. But please also advise if they are buggy and cause any conflicts. I need the exact name of the OXP, where to download, and any informative info that I might need to know about them.

(1)
Stations... there are two YouTube videos that show stations that I am interested in. Both of these videos might be the same OXP, or they may not... please view BOTH and comment if you have answers. Specifically I am interested in the station with all of the neon advertisement all over it, and also that interesting coriolis at the very beginning of the first video.
(1)(a) If the youtube link is bad the name of the page is "Oolite shader demo", so it can be searched for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnydSYRHhro
(1)(b) This looks like it MIGHT be the same OXP, but if not I am interested in these stations too. Name of the video page is "Trade Outpost Fly-By":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvw31lk00o

(2)
Voices/speech. Specifically this OXP has a female computer voice, and a kind of etherial mech voice. Name of the video page is "Lave To Zaonce":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6C-WJU9IoE

Thank You...

-----

Unrelated question. I've downloaded a couple of OXPs that I didn't even bother to try, because they "looked strange". Upon unZipping them, I get a weird message about encryption (my OS is WinVista on a PC). Then, there are two general folders, an .OXP and also one for the MacOS. The internal order of files also "looked buggy" to me; like the files needed to be re-arranged maybe and the folder "rebuilt" into a "vanilla" OXP folder from scratch.

One of these that I was really interested in was tori.zip (Torus Stations, a la "2001 A Space Odyssey").

Anything wrong with those archived OXPs? Any comments? Thanks.

EDIT: Edited for some spelling errors.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

1) a) Griffs Trade Outpost
1) b) Griffs Trade Outpost
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Trader ... t_(Oolite)
(note) Your Ad Here also uses recolors of this station.
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Your_Ad_Here!

2) Native to the mac version, or download "Hal's Hot Sister" the music in the background was likely played thru an external player like winamp/iTunes
All available here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP
Last edited by ADCK on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

ADCK;

Thank you. I owe you a trumble steak smothered in thargoid sauce.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Can anyone identify these OXPs?

Post by ADCK »

JeffBTX wrote:
there are two general folders, an .OXP and also one for the MacOS. The internal order of files also "looked buggy" to me; like the files needed to be re-arranged maybe and the folder "rebuilt" into a "vanilla" OXP folder from scratch.
One is for Mac (MacOS) and one is for PC (.oxp)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Okay...

It looks like the ORIGINAL Trade Outpost, version 1.0, the one with all of the fancy neon, is no longer available and as a matter of fact should NOT be installed due to various issues.

No biggy. I downloaded 1.1 anyway, it still looks good.

I don't think I am interested in Your Ad Here... at least not yet, until maybe I read the descriptions again. It looked "too glitzy and cheesy too me" at first glance... thats just me I guess. If I saw a rotating "billboard" in space, I would want to vandalize it. Hehehe.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

JeffBTX wrote:
Okay...

It looks like the ORIGINAL Trade Outpost, version 1.0, the one with all of the fancy neon, is no longer available and as a matter of fact should NOT be installed due to various issues.

No biggy. I downloaded 1.1 anyway, it still looks good.

I don't think I am interested in Your Ad Here... at least not yet, until maybe I read the descriptions again. It looked "too glitzy and cheesy too me" at first glance... thats just me I guess. If I saw a rotating "billboard" in space, I would want to vandalize it. Hehehe.
Your Ad Here uses 6 diff variants of that station, and all have neon signs.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

I will check out Your Ad Here again soon. I re-read the description, and it doesn't add as much to the game as I first thought when I first read about it... my initial impression was "This will clutter my game too much". But re-read about it a second time, and it doesn't look so bad.

Thanks for the info.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Btw, all oxps work in all platforms, regardless. (sometimes a typo will cause problems in one os but not in the others, but that's the exception rather than the rule)

The strange files you see inside some archives were added by the various operating systems for their own nefarious purposes (search, icon positioning, etc), and they're normally invisible on the operating system that created them in the first place.

You can safely delete all the .something files. By the same token, Mac & linux users can remove any windows generated thumbs.db files without affecting anything the slightest! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Kaks,

Thanks, that illuminates things a little better.

I downloaded tori.zip again and looked at it.

What a mess! Its exactly as you describe, a lot of strange .something files. The directory structure is strange.

I guess I could just download it again, unZip it, and try to turn it into a basic vanilla OXP. I am starting to understand a little how OXPs work... so as long as I kept the models, textures, scripts, shaders etc intact and in their own folders, it should work.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

That's right!

And if you don't mind the extra clutter, you could even leave all them .something files where they are, they'll just be ignored by Oolite... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

JeffBTW-
Also, try downloading / using 7Zip instead of the Vista native compression utility. It's much nicer, and will auto-magically handle the .MAC and what-not folders. It's what I use on my WinVista and Win7 machines.