Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

does anybody have a Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) deb install?

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

micronaut
Harmless
Harmless

Post by micronaut »

does anybody have an oolite 1.73.4 .deb installer for ubuntu 9.10 (karmic). I get the libgnustep dependency errors on previous ubuntu version builds because karmic is using 1.19. I don't have enough understanding of linux to compile from source.

Thanks for any assistance.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Personally I just used the package file from GURPO, as that's designed to deal with such dependencies I believe. In any case it worked fine for me.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Hi Micronaut,

Does it -have- to be 1.73.4? Otherwise you can try using the current maintenance build (1.73.5) which is in the repository (debs.oolite.org). The maintenance build is 1.73.4 + a few minor maintenance fixes.

Cheers,
- Micha.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

If you're still looking, it's right here on PlayDeb.net
Damos
Above Average
Above Average

Still cant install oolite on ubuntu 9.10

Post by Damos »

Dear Oolitians,

I've been playing oolite on xp for a number of years and thought I try Ubuntu.

I like the other poster is very new to Ubuntu.

Have installed ubuntu 9.10 within windows xp and have tried to install Olite.

playdeb.net install/1.73.1~get deb3 gives oolite broken package

debs.olite.org first time user instruction gives 1.73.40 ubuntu9.04 gives error could not mark all packages for installation something about a problem with libgnustep base 1.16

Any other thoughts?

Is anyone here running Olite on ubuntu 9.10

Frustrated and annoyed and looking wistfully at Olite on XP

Damos
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Both the trunk and test releases work fine for me under Ubuntu 9.10 (although KK itself sometimes has fun booting up due to graphics card fun and games).

Installed using the autopackages, went without a hitch.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hi Damos.. you can also try my alternate download site. There are installers for Linux, Mac and Windows available there, as well as development packages for Linux and Windows.

I'd recommend you go with the Autopackage version. Autopackage instructions can be found at http://www.autopackage.org/howtoinstall.html. (a note, if you don't give the installer your password, it will not install as Root, which means Oolite will install your gamesaves and OXP's in locations you will have write access to. This is important in case you decide to edit something.)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Damos
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Damos »

Dizeit,

Up and running first time. Why oh why wasn't it this easy with the official website.

Thank you very much.

Now to change the keyboard to BBC layout

D.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Damos wrote:
Why oh why wasn't it this easy with the official website.
There is a link in the official website to download the oolite test-release 1.73.4 autopackage package .
Why wasn't it easy? Your feedback could help us improve that point.

Cheers.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Damos
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Damos »

For what I am about to say, forgive my for I am a newbie.

My attempts to download oolite involved using ?repositories rather than downloading the packages directly. Probably because I came across a reference to this being the "better way" as this ensures all necessary files also installed etc etc.

So I installed links to the repositories and downloaded the copies of oolite found there and ran into the problems I mentioned above.

Looked at the official download site (http://www.oolite.org/download), didn't know which file to download, nor what to do with the package. (Remember a newbies). Probably because the first install is the formidable Fedora one which has 15 files none of which have a package.

Looking again its obvous but maybe move the oolite 1.73.4 test files above the Fedora so it looks a little less crowded?

Would also suggest linking to diezet's suggestion http://www.autopackage.org/howtoinstall.html. which explains what to do with the .packages and how to install. Not too sure about the password comment though.

Just a few thoughts..

D.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Hi Damos,

Using the repositories (on debs.oolite.org), you can't configure a repository which gives jaunty packages (Ubuntu 9.04) when you're running Karmic (Ubuntu 9.10).

That's like downloading XP Software for Vista. Sure, it may work, but there are no guarantees. This is only a rough analog, since a lot of Windows software usually comes with all of its dependencies, and this is what the autopackaged versions of Oolite do too.

The whole point of having different packages for each version of Ubuntu is to ensure each is put together specifically for that version of Ubuntu and its various dependencies, and to only rely on what the OS provides.

I hope this clarifies the .deb packages a little for you, and if you try out the karmic-specific one I'm sure it will work fine for you.

Cheers,
- Micha.
Damos
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Damos »

I can understand that programes for 9.04 might not be compatible with 9.10 which is what I installed analogous to your xp vrs vista.

What added to the confusion I suppose is the playdeb link (http://www.playdeb.net/updates/ubuntu/9.10/?q=oolite says it compatible with 9.10 but fell over when I tried to download)

My other mistake possibly is I assumed the default software download program in 9.10 would have had some filter in it to download versions of software compatible with 9.10 or at least a filter to flag that it wasn't a 9.10 version.

Thanks for the patience.

D.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Damos wrote:
What added to the confusion I suppose is the playdeb link (http://www.playdeb.net/updates/ubuntu/9.10/?q=oolite says it compatible with 9.10 but fell over when I tried to download)
I've chased down problems with these guys in the past. I'm not sure how much effort they put into quality control but they were very responsive when I raised some issues with their builds.
Damos wrote:
My other mistake possibly is I assumed the default software download program in 9.10 would have had some filter in it to download versions of software compatible with 9.10 or at least a filter to flag that it wasn't a 9.10 version.
Generally it is assumed that a particular repository (or apt-line) is for a specific version of <ed>Linux a Distribution (eg, Ubuntu Karmic)</ed>, instead of having packages from various different versions <ed>(eg Ubuntu Jaunty and Ubuntu Karmic)</ed> all mashed together. This is certainly the case for the repositories on 'debs.oolite.org'.
Last edited by Micha on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

People sometimes get put-off from Playdeb when they realise they have to follow the instructions given to enable access to some repositories.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Poro wrote:
People sometimes get put-off from Playdeb when they realise they have to follow the instructions given to enable access to some repositories.
Well,same thing for the Oolite debs. But until there's a new stable version of Oolite, there's no way it'll get updated in the official distro repositories (ie, Debian/Ubuntu).

Until then you have to 'hack' Oolite onto your system via the autopackager release, download-compile-install your own copy, or use an unofficial repository such as PlayDeb or Oolite Debs. The latter is the least hacky mechanism, assuming you trust the repository to get it right.

It's just a different way to deal with software than the Windows (and Mac?) world. Personally I prefer having a single OS-wide system manage my software instead of every software package individually managing itself and its dependencies or leaving it up to the user to remember to check for updates all the time.