Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

More comprehensive ship data

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

captain122
Above Average
Above Average

More comprehensive ship data

Post by captain122 »

Whenever I decide to buy a new ship in Oolite, I always have to open up the wiki and search on each ship option to find information not given in game (If it is even on the wiki!) such as missile pylons, roll and pitch, witchspace capability, etc. All the screen in game shows is speed and cargo. Would it be very difficult to add this information the the ship-buying screen?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Yeah this would be good. I'm currently flying a standard Python, but am currently thinking about getting a different ship. The Python only has two missile pylons, but the Wiki doesn't always state how many pylons ships have.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

JazHaz wrote:
but the Wiki doesn't always state how many pylons ships have.
The reference sheet in the Oolite folder does as well as all the other ship specs.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

El Viejo wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
but the Wiki doesn't always state how many pylons ships have.
The reference sheet in the Oolite folder does as well as all the other ship specs.
Not for OXP ships it doesn't! ;)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
captain122
Above Average
Above Average

Post by captain122 »

The reference sheet does tell the data - for the built-in ships, but it does not solve the problem of being able to know specs in game. The wiki does not even have data for all of the ships (see how big this list is! http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Catego ... ship_stubs ). Wouldn't it be fairly easy to implement? All that is is needed is a few extra lines on the buy screen telling the rest of the information.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i think it'd be pretty nice the main screen had a "more info" button. that could take you to a new page w/ a bigger spinny ship (or one you could rotate using the arrow keys??) and a page of ship info ~ this would add more colour to the game, you could include the gen from the original game manuals etc, or stuff creators made up for their OXPs, little back histories of the ship, or a pimpy sales pitch etc
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Killer Wolf wrote:
iyou could include the gen from the original game manuals etc,
Maybe not this bit, too much chance for copyright dramas, I suspect, but I'm in favour of the other ideas in this thread.. it would add to the immersion, IMO.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Personally, in my I'm-not-the-one-doing-any-of-the-work opinion, the way to do this is to create an algorithm, subroutine, or whatever-fancy-programmer-name-you-wanna-call-it that simply pulls the specs from the shipdata.plist.

That way,

1) there would be no work needed on any of the OXP ships (I'm not sure how the built-in set is handled, so I'll leave those out of the statement), so that the ships whose creators don't want the extra work (or who simply aren't around anymore) will also benefit from this.

2) if there's an extra 'descriptive' category added, those OXP makers who do want their ships to have a nice in-game blurb added, could just put it in the .plist and update the download.

And it is a veryveryvery good idea, methinks.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I do like the idea! Post MNSR of course! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

that shipdata thing is actually a very cool and elegant solution. there could simply be a <shipblurb> parameter for descriptive text ~ would/should there be a length limit?
ooh - there could aslo be a sales blurb randomly generated like "nice little runner", "cargo extension needs attention", "one careless feline owner" etc.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

As I recall, this already exists. The descriptive text is generated, it just isn’t shown anywhere…
scaseman
Competent
Competent

Post by scaseman »

How about more information about a targeted ship. It would be useful to see a percentage figure indicating its remaining strength.
Elite Commodore 64 1984
Dangerous Oolite January 2010
Right on Commander
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

scaseman wrote:
How about more information about a targeted ship. It would be useful to see a percentage figure indicating its remaining strength.
Disagree. This is too arcade. Plus, it can be done with scripting.
scaseman
Competent
Competent

Post by scaseman »

Well as I have not got a clue about scripting maybe someone else fancies a go. I thought maybe it could be added to the Scanner Targeting Enhancement.
Elite Commodore 64 1984
Dangerous Oolite January 2010
Right on Commander
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I also disagree. Some indication is give by their behaviour, and also by ships being on fire when they are heavily damaged. Also they will launch an escape capsule just before they are finished (often, not always).