Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Weapon Positions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Weapon Positions

Post by Killer Wolf »

Does anyone have thoughts as to why my "weapon-position" port & starboard don't seem to match my model?
the aft seems to be fine and fire from the correct position. the side lasers fire from a position that seems a good 4 or 5 units back from where i lined it up on the model, and seem to fire from a slightly random area, which i assume is coded.
the placing is the annoying bit tho, i've got muzzles drawn on my skin, and after working out all the positions as per my modeller, the game shows the beams as coming from further back. i'm def using the right model etc, i reloaded it all to check.

cheers....
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Weapon Positions

Post by Screet »

Killer Wolf wrote:
the side lasers fire from a position that seems a good 4 or 5 units back from where i lined it up on the model, and seem to fire from a slightly random area, which i assume is coded.
I can't help you with that unless you were moving in that ship while testing. I've noticed that when a ship moves the side lasers appear to shoot from a slightly different direction, probably an offset created by the ship moving while the shot is being created...

Screet
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Have you tried firing when your ship is stationary?

I've noticed that the laser start position moves along the z-axis with changing ship speed, just like the exhaust start position does.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The above answers are pretty much right. Lasers are created relative to the shooting ship’s current position and exist for several frames, but don’t move, so they fall behind the ship.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Those are some awfully slow lasers :lol:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Well, obviously, what you’re seeing is the glowing ionisation trail created when the laser passes through the, um, not-entirely-luminiferous aether.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep, that good old-fashioned ionised phlogiston tends to burn stationary looking afterimages...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

nuts, i never even thought to try stopping the ship X-(

cheers all, i'll try that when i get in!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Killer Wolf wrote:
nuts, i never even thought to try stopping the ship X-(
cheers all, i'll try that when i get in!
Hey, that's fine...I only know because I'm flying a Caduceus and thus am shooting very much with side lasers (more often than with the rear laser) and thus began wondering why sometimes the beam is so well aligned that it's almost invisible and sometimes it seems to come from a spot a little bit off ;)

BTW: Has anyone of you played Carrier Command on those old Atari/Amiga machines? The ship there also had a big laser - and it could move faster through water than the shots of that laser were moving :D

Screet
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

lol. reminds me of the story (apocryphal?) of the guy who shot himself down. was in a fighter jet and did some test firing, and apparently flew into his own bullets as they lost speed. guessing he woulda had to be descending as well, but it's an amusing story.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Screet wrote:
BTW: Has anyone of you played Carrier Command on those old Atari/Amiga machines? The ship there also had a big laser - and it could move faster through water than the shots of that laser were moving :D
Now there was a classic game, never had it my Amiga, played it on a friend's Atari ST. Ground breaking stuff, well ahead of its time, like so many games of that era.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Killer Wolf wrote:
lol. reminds me of the story (apocryphal?) of the guy who shot himself down. was in a fighter jet and did some test firing, and apparently flew into his own bullets as they lost speed. guessing he woulda had to be descending as well, but it's an amusing story.
In the early days of passive IR homing missiles, they often headed for the sun - or during heavy manoeuvring, the tail pipe of the aircraft which fired it...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

DH, i heard a story about one locking onto a greenhouse type structure on the ground, pretty sure that must be a BS tale tho!

like the sun theory like, be like moths heading for the moon or summat.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Killer Wolf wrote:
DH, i heard a story about one locking onto a greenhouse type structure on the ground, pretty sure that must be a BS tale tho!

like the sun theory like, be like moths heading for the moon or summat.
Possibly not that BS - if the sun glint off the glass of the greenhouse was at the right angle - an old IR missile would pick it up as a nice compact source of IR energy and home right in on it - even some reasonably modern defence aid suite kit can still be spoofed with a dozen kids sat on a hillside wiggling mirrors...)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"a dozen kids sat on a hillside" sounds like a fine target to me!

anyways : ta all, yep ~ when i stopped, the lasers came from my requiered place. slow lasers, who'd imagine?