Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Salvaged Naval Energy Unit

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Edmund
Above Average
Above Average

Salvaged Naval Energy Unit

Post by Edmund »

Hi,

I got one of these from a salvage gang in galaxy 1, cheap :D . It has of course failed :cry: , and I wondered what Tech Level I need to get it repaired. So far only had an extra energy unit offered as replacement :? .
Edmund

Loving my Cobra since 1985
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I don't know exactly, since I don't remember seeing one. Go for 13 or 14. Or look for a Navy ship that you can dock with.
Edmund
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Edmund »

OK, stayed up past bedtime playing (Ha, like that never happens!) to get to Ceesxe (TL 15) and discovered that repair isn't available there. So I downloaded repairbots instead and that worked fine. Not sure I'd try docking with the navy, might they want it back rather than repairing it?

seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by seventh »

So you didn't fix it :( But I like the idea. Before I though that the Salvage Gang is absolutly useless thing. How many it cost? ;)
Last edited by seventh on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

I'm guessing you haven't done the built-in mission that rewards you with the NEU yet. That could be why it couldn't be repaired. (After the mission it behaves like any other piece of equipment).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Makara is right. In order to get normal access to a NEU you have to finish a certain mission first. If you haven't, the NEU is out of reach for you. If you purchase either a ship with a pre-installed NEU or a salvaged NEU and it breaks, you are on your own.

However, I just hadn't thought about that. So thanks for making me alert! I'll think about some way to make the Salvagers (or Hackers?) able to repair a broken NEU even if you haven't finished said mission yet.

Hint: The mission in question takes place in Galaxy 3. Feel free to move there. But you have to finish another mission before, which will take you from Galaxy 1 to Galaxy 2.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

A batch of repair bots might be able to assist too, as the Navy use them as well ;)
Edmund
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Edmund »

Yes the repair bots did repair the Naval Energy Unit fine, I got the idea from Tivva here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... ergy#62435

Interesting that it's not repairable at a station because I've not completed two certain missions. I have been asked to go 'hunting at Xeer', but want to do all the other Galaxy 1 missions first. I'm a chronic completist; don't want to miss owt.
Thanks for all the helpful advice and info though :D

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Edmund wrote:
Interesting that it's not repairable at a station because I've not completed two certain missions. I have been asked to go 'hunting at Xeer', but want to do all the other Galaxy 1 missions first. I'm a chronic completist; don't want to miss owt.
Thanks for all the helpful advice and info though :D
There are other missions which will force you to move around through all galaxies anyway in order to be able to complete everything.

On the other hand, missions located in G1 typically are low level missions, thus it might be really a good idea to at least complete these first before moving on.

Screet
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

Edmund wrote:
Yes the repair bots did repair the Naval Energy Unit fine, I got the idea from Tivva here...
Glad to be of service Commander 8)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

(Editted: as I got this wrong originally!)

The Naval Energy Unit is rewarded upon completing the Thargoid Plans mission, which is the third mission.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!