Weird universe!

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

jkn
Poor
Poor

Weird universe!

Post by jkn »

Oolite v1.73.4 Ubuntu 9.04:

Galactic chart 2:
From Xeisare to Teonan 6.8 ly, 46.2 h.

From Xeisare to Legeara 2.8 ly, 7.8 h
From Legeara to Teonan 3.6 ly, 13.0 h
2.8 ly + 3.6 ly = 6.4 ly

(I tried trunk version, but it did not start)

- jkn
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

It's a well know witchjump phenomenon, and one that never ceases to amaze & stupefy!

Which trunk revision have you got problems with?
Last edited by Kaks on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

If you're trying to say that two shorter hops being significantly shorter time-wise than a single long hop is weird, then you've misunderstood the way wormholes work.

Time does not increase linearly with distance where wormholes are concerned.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Weird universe!

Post by PhantorGorth »

jkn wrote:
Oolite v1.73.4 Ubuntu 9.04:

Galactic chart 2:
From Xeisare to Teonan 6.8 ly, 46.2 h.

From Xeisare to Legeara 2.8 ly, 7.8 h
From Legeara to Teonan 3.6 ly, 13.0 h
2.8 ly + 3.6 ly = 6.4 ly

(I tried trunk version, but it did not start)

- jkn
I don't think the issue was just the time but the distance as well. In euclidean space (which on this scale the real universe is) it is impossible in a triangle to have one side longer than the sum of the length of the other two sides.

For jkn's benefit: This is due to rounding downs done in the distance calculations which is kept in to make Oolite as faithful a reproduction of Elite as possible.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

PhantorGorth wrote:
I don't think the issue was just the time but the distance as well. In euclidean space (which on this scale the real universe is) it is impossible in a triangle to have one side longer than the sum of the length of the other two sides.
The five-dimensional space used by witchspace drives, however, is awesomely curvaceous.
jkn
Poor
Poor

Post by jkn »

PhantorGorth wrote:

In euclidean space (which on this scale the real universe is) it is impossible in a triangle to have one side longer than the sum of the length of the other two sides.
Also in non-euclidean space straight line is shortest distance between two points!

I tested oolite_1.74.0.2787-0jaunty~trunk1_i386.deb. I'll try again later.

- jkn
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

jkn wrote:
Also in non-euclidean space straight line is shortest distance between two points!
The problem is that the Oooniverse witchspace distance calculation algorithms are based on the original Elite ones, and emulate them down to the bit, including the rounding errors.

When I first tried this distance calculation myself I got some mathematically correct results that stubbornly refused to match known data from the Ooniverse. The original formula does some odd roundings, which tend to add up to nearly a lightyear per jump occasionally, IIRC.

The "explanation" for that is that witchspace is even worse than non-euclidiean space on that behalf, which should not surprise if you can move FTL through it. In witchspace, a straight line might even be the longest distance between two points...

So, basically, it is not a weird universe, but just a weird witchspace.

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
jkn
Poor
Poor

Post by jkn »

treczoks wrote:

The problem is that the Oooniverse witchspace distance calculation algorithms are based on the original Elite ones, and emulate them down to the bit, including the rounding errors.
I accept that. Original Elite was was written for a computer which had 32 kB RAM (including display and floppy controllers). I have one:)
So rounding errors are not a surprise.

I'm not sure if duplicating that is a good idea. Some planets might become inaccessible...
treczoks wrote:
The "explanation" for that is that witchspace is even worse than non-euclidiean space on that behalf, which should not surprise if you can move FTL through it. In witchspace, a straight line might even be the longest distance between two points...
I don't know much about geometry, but I remember that straight line is defined to be shortest distance between two points. What else could 'straight' mean in curved space? Einstein said that gravitation is not a force, but curvature of space. So satellite orbiting earth moves in straight line in space-time. 4-dimensional space-time is curved. This explains everything doesn't it?

treczoks wrote:
So, basically, it is not a weird universe, but just a weird witchspace.
But map distances must be normal Ooniverse distances. Distances through wormholes are shorter. Wormholes use extra dimensions, so distance can be shorter than straight line in normal space. One can travel in wormhole slower than speed of light, but arrive before light using normal space would. This would also make time travel possible.

Nearest star is 4.3 ly from the Sun, next one 6.0 ly and third 7.7 ly. So distance scale is well chosen.

- jkn
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

jkn wrote:
I'm not sure if duplicating that is a good idea. Some planets might become inaccessible...
As the systems are laid out exactly as they were found in the original 8-bit versions then all the systems that were inaccessible in the 8-bit versions are still inaccessible in this version - that's the point!

See here for more details: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6053

After all you can play Oolite in Strict Mode - sans oxps and just like the original
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think I remember a change about a year ago that changed galactic jump behavior which means that all systems are accessibile one way or another. But I could be wrong.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmdr James wrote:
I think I remember a change about a year ago that changed galactic jump behavior which means that all systems are accessibile one way or another. But I could be wrong.
It's not the default though is it? I can't remember - and while it leaves the inaccessible bits accessible that could still leave you subsequently trapped if one of the systems lacks the ability to sell you a new Gal. H.drive.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

It's not the default. And if it's overridden by an OXP to make some inaccessible bits suddenly accessible, it's up to the OXP maker to make sure that there are no places where the player could be effectively stuck.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Kaks wrote:
it's up to the OXP maker to make sure that there are no places where the player could be effectively stuck.
Now what is wrong with that

in my book it would be the same as "Game Over".. ;-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Frame wrote:
Kaks wrote:
it's up to the OXP maker to make sure that there are no places where the player could be effectively stuck.
Now what is wrong with that

in my book it would be the same as "Game Over".. ;-)
Its game over, but you may not realise until you saved over your last working save-game.

Seems unfair to trap players like that.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Besides, all it takes to get the player unstuck is to increase the tech level of one of the planets to make it possible for the player to buy a galactic jumpdrive.

Alternatively, there could be an elaborate backstory, one that ends up awarding the player a galactic jumpdrive after the player performs some improbable tasks for the local bigwig. Or something! :D