Netbook Suitable for Oolite?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Netbook Suitable for Oolite?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I have a chance to buy (c. US$250) one of these early next year - any good for Oolite?

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668309.php

Basics: Win7, 1GB RAM, Intel GMA950, Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 250GB HD, 1024x600 screen
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep, those will run Oolite without problems, and with shaders too! At least the windows xp ones. I'm not 100% of the state of GMA950 support in linux.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

You can run Win7 with 1GB, but I generally recommend ANYONE to upgrade to 2GB+ on any system, be it XP, Vista, 7, or what have you. Ram is too cheap these days not to when you consider the performance boost.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
You can run Win7 with 1GB, but I generally recommend ANYONE to upgrade to 2GB+ on any system, be it XP, Vista, 7, or what have you. Ram is too cheap these days not to when you consider the performance boost.
thanks guys, will investigate if possible to upgrade said machine to 2GB.
Selezen wrote:
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

I just recently upgraded my work Win7 machine (Quad-core Xeon) from 2GiB to 4GiB RAM because now that I'm using it for more than just reading my Lotus Notes email it was C.R.A.W.L.I.N.G. with 'only' 2GiB RAM in it (mostly swapping). For the record, I run at least as many apps (and a lot even the same ones, eg, Firefox, NetBeans, Glassfish/Tomcat, etc) simultaneously on my Linux box with only 1GiB RAM in it and an ancient Athlon-64.
Windows never fails to astound at its level of bloatiness.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Micha wrote:
I just recently upgraded my work Win7 machine (Quad-core Xeon) from 2GiB to 4GiB RAM because now that I'm using it for more than just reading my Lotus Notes email it was C.R.A.W.L.I.N.G.
And that's the zippy version of not-quite-vista too! Egads!
/me strokes 1Gb XP affectionately - :shock: ...err... I mean in a manly way, honest!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Micha wrote:
I just recently upgraded my work Win7 machine (Quad-core Xeon) from 2GiB to 4GiB RAM because now that I'm using it for more than just reading my Lotus Notes email it was C.R.A.W.L.I.N.G. with 'only' 2GiB RAM in it (mostly swapping). For the record, I run at least as many apps (and a lot even the same ones, eg, Firefox, NetBeans, Glassfish/Tomcat, etc) simultaneously on my Linux box with only 1GiB RAM in it and an ancient Athlon-64.
Please don't say ancient and then Athlon-64 - my main home PC really is ancient - Athlon XP 2800+ (although 2.5GB keeps it running respectively under XP and Ubuntu)

It doesn't look like there's an upgrade path for memory for the LT2030u...

(Note: I have two laptops - the first is an ancient PII-300 Thinkpad 600 running Win98SE and Ubuntu F.Fawn in 192MB RAM (maxed), the second is a Dell CPx PIII-650 running XP with 512MB (maxed) and the PII is sooooo much faster at booting up, opening Firefox, opening OpenOffice) :roll:
Selezen wrote:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi DH

I agree with the comments about RAM... 2Gb is needed, especially as the GMA 950 will have to share it.

Specs on the LT2030u seem to imply that 1Gb is max.
However, you may be interested in this post on the Ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8245920

He states that he upgraded to 2Gb... I'm not sure what to make of that.

Caveat emptor, as they say.

Regards
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
Hi DH

I agree with the comments about RAM... 2Gb is needed, especially as the GMA 950 will have to share it.

Specs on the LT2030u seem to imply that 1Gb is max.
However, you may be interested in this post on the Ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8245920

He states that he upgraded to 2Gb... I'm not sure what to make of that.

Caveat emptor, as they say.

Regards
Nice spot EV - I've posted a request for info from him - fingers crossed.
Selezen wrote:
Cody

Post by Cody »

I thought you might be a member of that forum.

Questions: how many posts make a coffee bean, and how many coffee beans make a cup?

I rather like that style of ranking.

Regards
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
I thought you might be a member of that forum.

Questions: how many posts make a coffee bean, and how many coffee beans make a cup?

I rather like that style of ranking.

Regards
Don't know (and I agree) - unlike this forum - I'm mostly a lurker on Ubuntu Forums.
Selezen wrote:
Cody

Post by Cody »

I don’t do any other forums (or should that be fora), I’m only on this one because of the Great Game.

Looking at that Ubuntu forum, it had a nice mellow feel to it and was easier on the eye.
As for mystery amounts of coffee beans… I like it.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

:D

Well hot damn.

Just bought this exact Netbook. Runs Oolite fine. (Bit choppy in places..) Make sure you go to the Direct X site and upgrade, for some reason the computer itself doesn't recognize that the drivers are seriously out of date. (Or you could try turning the splash off.)

Also, yes indeed you can upgrade the ram to a 2gig. (I pulled one out of an old computer, and it just so happened to work. The difference is noticable, so if you can afford a Kingston 2gb I definatly would.

Loving Oolite on the go. (Along with Doom, FreeCiv, PvZ.) Props to the dev team for not giving in and making griff's stuff stock. I really like the base graphics, and so does my netbook.

Any questions, just shoot them my way.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Micha wrote:
Please don't say ancient and then Athlon-64 - my main home PC really is ancient - Athlon XP 2800+ (although 2.5GB keeps it running respectively under XP and Ubuntu)

It doesn't look like there's an upgrade path for memory for the LT2030u...

(Note: I have two laptops - the first is an ancient PII-300 Thinkpad 600 running Win98SE and Ubuntu F.Fawn in 192MB RAM (maxed), the second is a Dell CPx PIII-650 running XP with 512MB (maxed) and the PII is sooooo much faster at booting up, opening Firefox, opening OpenOffice) :roll:
For a while I had two computers equipped with ASUS K8N Socket 754 motherboards. The CPU's were AMD; an Athlon 64 at 2.0 Ghz and a Sempron at 1.8 Ghz. One motherboard died over the summer and the other one very recently. I'm using a P-III 933mhz system (with both Windows-XP and Debian Linux installed) until I build a replacement AMD system.

Like you and others, I've noticed a significant performance differences when using Linux versus Windows-XP. Linux makes more efficient use of available resources.

I figure that Linux will continue to improve and gain market share. Software vendors would do well to adjust their plans accordingly, in my opinion.

I plan to install Windows-XP and OpenSUSE on my next system.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers