Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Karmic Koala Ubuntu

Post by Chrisfs »

Karmic Koala Ubuntu just came out.

Given I am a new linux user (just started maybe two months ago), I don't know the deal with Linux versions. Should I upgrade right away or wait for a while until some bugs are fixed ?
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Ubuntu is a nice beginners distro, and geared towards being as close to the latest developments as practically possible. So new releases often have niggling or sometimes, depending on your machine's set up, severe bugs.

If you're new as you said, I'd wait some weeks before upgrading (and reading the friendly forums) by then the biggest bugs will surely be ironed out.

Been awhile since I used Ubuntu, so things might have changed.

On the other hand, If you're into experimenting, bugs are interesting cases to learn new things and workarounds, giving you a crash course into (some) of the innards of Linux. It's all up to you how far into the night you want to stay awake tinkering ;)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

I was/am running Jaunty for half a year or more and it was pretty good, no problems - can recommend that for a no-fuss stable install.

Last night I did a clean-install of Karmic, compiled Oolite from trunk and flew between a couple of systems, so far so good. But YMMV - as always, it will take a little while to iron out issues with a new release.

There have also been a couple of reports of issues here with the newer GNUStep libraries (1.19.1 & 1.19.3 - Karmic is packaged with 1.19.0 which is an obsolete development release) and Oolite.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Also they seem to have problems with big files (>512MB) if you do a clean install and use ext4 instead of ext3...
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Rxke wrote:
Also they seem to have problems with big files (>512MB) if you do a clean install and use ext4 instead of ext3...
Hmm, not on my system:

Code: Select all

micha@urutu:~$ mount
/dev/mapper/vg0-lvol3 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mapper/vg0-lvol4 on /home type ext4 (rw)

micha@urutu:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=./test bs=1024 count=10000000

Every 2.0s: ls -lh test                                 Fri Oct 30 19:17:07 2009

-rw-r--r-- 1 micha micha 8.3G 2009-10-30 19:17 test
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I'm running Jaunty right now and it works great for me. The upgrade manager was informing me that Karmic was out, so I am now presented with that choice
Micha wrote:
I was/am running Jaunty for half a year or more and it was pretty good, no problems - can recommend that for a no-fuss stable install.

Last night I did a clean-install of Karmic, compiled Oolite from trunk and flew between a couple of systems, so far so good. But YMMV - as always, it will take a little while to iron out issues with a new release.

There have also been a couple of reports of issues here with the newer GNUStep libraries (1.19.1 & 1.19.3 - Karmic is packaged with 1.19.0 which is an obsolete development release) and Oolite.