Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cooling system

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

paddyz1
Poor
Poor

Cooling system

Post by paddyz1 »

Hi all.

Is there any way that a hidously expensive cooling system can be incorperated into the military laser but still keep the energy drain?

Just a thought

Thanks
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Cooling system

Post by CptnEcho »

paddyz1 wrote:
Hi all.

Is there any way that a hidously expensive cooling system can be incorperated into the military laser but still keep the energy drain?

Just a thought

Thanks
There's no equipment available to do what you're asking.

What you could do, with the proper programming skills, is alter the characteristics of items within your game.

Keep in mind that hostile ships could have access to the same equipment, and, they could use it on you.

Others may chime in with additional information and explanations of why the developers have avoided unbalancing the game with laser cooling equipment.

Welcome to the forums. 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Cooling system

Post by JensAyton »

paddyz1 wrote:
No.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Enhanced laser cooling and jumping beyond 7 light years are the two hard-coded no-no's for Oolite/Elite iirc.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Perhaps a "because" and "what-for" these "noes" is in order: Doing one or both of these things would make any sort of game balance impossible and a lot of core game and oxp missions pointless and boring.

Believe me, I have thought about these options :twisted: - and I am of the opinion that "anything goes" ... if and as long as it enhances gameplay. These two would not.

Hope that is an explanation? :D

L
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You could also find the answer in the FAQ.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"It would unbalance the game too much. If they were available for the player only, things would get too easy. And if the NPCs could get them, too, things would get too hard."

not that i'm advocating a cooler, but doesn't that sentence seem redundant? surely it would level the game out as much as it is now when neither can have them? you'd only be at a disadvantage until you bought one, and that can kinda be applied to Mil Lasers etc, when you stumble across pirates that have them but you don't.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

It would make most fights finish almost as soon as they start, and the winner would more or less be decided at random.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Screet and me experimented with a Plasma Accelerator, sort of a super plasma weapon with a higher range than the twin poopers available now, and much more punch.

Gametests showed that this meant most ships would be destroyed after two or three hits. Put it below that, you have another Military Laser. Let it stay there or higher, and it is as Kaks said: Russian roulette as to who survives and who not.

Same thing would happen with a laser cooling booster. There's no fun to be had with that, so we stopped trying to develop this.

Take, for example, the core game thargoids mission. With such a weapon (cooling or super plasma) you simply mow down eight to ten thargoid warships, and continue your course. And with a cooled laser, you can do so again and again without any further costs (!).

That's the problem with balance how I see it. If someone still wants to make one, why not? There's also the KillIt reset-button weapons :wink:

My 0.2Cr

L
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Could the current overheating system be tweaked a bit? At the moment the lasers cut out before the temperature guage on the HUD is full
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Griff wrote:
Could the current overheating system be tweaked a bit? At the moment the lasers cut out before the temperature guage on the HUD is full
Or to put it another way, could the graphics for the weapon temp gauge actually reach the top of the bar before the weapon cuts out?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Does it not make sense for the laser to cut before the bar reaches the maximum? If it manages to reach maximum then it means that your weapon has already melted. I think it's fine just the way it is now.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
Does it not make sense for the laser to cut before the bar reaches the maximum? If it manages to reach maximum then it means that your weapon has already melted. I think it's fine just the way it is now.
I also have no problems with that...but I do wonder why noone ever thought about increasing laser temperature when the ship heats up by proximity to the sun. Might make fights there a little bit more interesting ;)

As to the overheating problem: Buy lasers for all four mounts, really! It might take a while to learn but at some point the hand will move automatically in the proper directions...and when the fourth laser is overheating, the first one is cool again, so then a ship can constantly keep firing! At first the side lasers may only help with thargoid battleships or even larger things, but after a while they really do help with asps and ships like them!

Screet
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

another_commander wrote:
Ah, that does make sense now you mention it, although now you've just made me wish we could risk running the laser further into some sort of temperature danger zone, risking damaging it somehow for just a few more shots :D
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
although now you've just made me wish we could risk running the laser further into some sort of temperature danger zone, risking damaging it somehow for just a few more shots :D
Ah, that "one extra shot" in exchange for paying 6000cr for a new laser.
There are times I'd go for that.

Regards
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!