Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Why does it all happen at once?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Why does it all happen at once?

Post by Screet »

Hi,

can someone please explain to me why it has always to be that the specials of multiple oxp's do happen at the exact same time?

For example, I did just dock and was answered TWO missions at once by UPS - then arrive at one of those systems just to have thargoids attack the station, the tigers waiting for me, some ships from military fiasco hunt me, several wreckages to salvage and somehow more pirates than usual anyway.

After a few minutes I had to use cloak & injectors to go through these swarms of ships because my tiny 30t cargo hold was filled so that I could not capture any more pirates (mission) or their goods...and I already had left around 10t floating in space. After docking/fighting thargs/selling everything I didn't get really far because my cargo hold is full again...ARGH!

I bet if I would dock at the space bar, there'd also instantly be some mafia attack ;)

It's not the first time - I'm experiencing such things very often, even multiple mission oxp's offering me their missions at the same time.

Do all these oxp's use the same variable to initiate these things or why does it always happen at once and then there's many flights without anything special again...

Screet
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

To answer these questions, we have called in our finest expert.
He has studied similar cases for decades, and is ooniversially regarded as the foremost authority in his chosen subject field.

Without any further ado, please give a warm welcome to Mr. Murphy!

(My apologies. Temptation didn't give me a chance to even consider resisting.)
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Clearly the chance of all these things happening at once were a million-to-one (thanks to TP) :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Clearly the chance of all these things happening at once were a million-to-one (thanks to TP) :wink:
Hmm. Sounds like my "special luck" again ;)

At least, sometimes it does work. In the past months I had it two times while wandering through the park with my dog that I suddenly though "I should not be here, get out!" and few hours later, back there, there were large parts of the trees broken off which did block the way ;)

Screet
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Screet wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
At least, sometimes it does work. In the past months I had it two times while wandering through the park with my dog that I suddenly though "I should not be here, get out!" and few hours later, back there, there were large parts of the trees broken off which did block the way ;)
There is no psychic abilities, no "hidden" forces that some people can receive, no magic in our world or universe. though it would be nice if it did exist.

Applying rational thought, you picked up on something subconsciously, either from the environment around you, or from your dog itself.
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Or, perhaps, what might be termed as "psychic abilities" consist of picking up on something subconsciously, either from the environment around you, or from other organisms ...

And, I might add, to claim that "hidden forces" would not exist is not rational in and of itself, as, alas, if (as of yet) hidden forces existed, per definition we would only be able to detect them rather indirectly - i.e. when observing difficult-to-explain anomalies in probability distributions.

Deep convictions about the existence of hidden forces and total scepticistic convictions about their non-existence are both unverifiable beliefs, and therefore both irrational (or pre-rational, if you want to take that distinction).

My 0.2 Cr

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
Deep convictions about the existence of hidden forces and total scepticistic convictions about their non-existence are both unverifiable beliefs, and therefore both irrational (or pre-rational, if you want to take that distinction).
I'm with James Randi when it comes to paranormal demonstrations.
-- Paul Wilkins
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

pmw57 wrote:
There is no psychic abilities, no "hidden" forces that some people can receive, no magic in our world or universe. though it would be nice if it did exist.
Those of us whom it's happened to, know better..
pmw57 wrote:
Applying rational thought, you picked up on something subconsciously, either from the environment around you, or from your dog itself.
Are you saying Screet isn't psychic but his dog is? :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Diziet Sma »

pmw57 wrote:
I'm with James Randi when it comes to paranormal demonstrations.
Unfortunately, Randi is not above making incorrect and misleading statements and half-truths about some of the people he attacks, in order to discredit them... so I'm afraid I can't accept him or his conclusions either.. but this is not the place to discuss such things, so I won't.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
pmw57 wrote:
Those of us whom it's happened to, know better..
I'm not immune to experiences that I've had that raise the question either.

The thing is, if someone gives up and says that it's beyond their understanding, they end up believing in god, or psychics, or ufos. In and of itself that's no problem, but when others use these things to accrue money from people who can't afford it, that's where one has to draw the line.

If you have seen what I have seen, you will go beyond the every-day mystical explanations and deep down into the inner psyche of the human being. But this is not the venue to discuss such matters so like yourself, it will be left for another venue.
-- Paul Wilkins
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

pmw57 wrote:
Mind you, I called it luck.

However, it does happen to me every now and then that I either dream beforehand what will happen or simply know it before it does. Some pretty much explainable via logic, but not all. Many of them don't even involve me.

However, that's really not the question I asked for, as it really does often happen in OOlite that several mission specials fire at once, which was my original question ;)

Screet
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It could be simply the case of all the different OXPs depending on the same pseudo random number.

If all your scripts do something on let's say "pseudoFixedD100_number < 20", they will of course do it all at the same time. That's the reason why I use sometimes a comparison "> 79" instead of "< 20". Same probability, different outcome.
ZirconB
Average
Average

Post by ZirconB »

Where do you get the cloaking device from?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

ZirconB wrote:
It's a reward for one of the native missions. If you do it right. ;)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

ZirconB wrote:
It's an inbuilt mission where you probably won't even notice that it's a mission. At some point, in a new galaxy, after a few jumps you will encounter a pack of pirate asps - and one of these will cloak. If you shoot it down, there should be an usual cargo container. If you miss it, there's only oxp's which could give you the cloak for a high amount of money.

Screet