Caduceus Autorepair update for OSE

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I really don't get what the MAS'C and Filter hating is for.

Really, I don't get it. I also start to twitch already.

I have never, ever heard, gotten reported or experienced any MAS'C or Filter related bug at all, not in the 1,5 years I have been using it!

It works fine on everyone's system, and I have never asked for any official or dev support on it - it works, it doesn't do mad things, so where is the problem with that? (There was/is one cosmetic bug with the filter appearing twice on the equipment screen potentially. Tough. I guess everyone can live with that)

Can we please agree to simply let it stay in and continue working until

a) A real MAS'C or Filter bug appears
b) I get completely mad and want support for these EQ_

Can anyone tell me a good reason here for taking these very cool, working items out except "I'd wish you did that"?

:?

L
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: ..

Post by Kaks »

Lestradae wrote:
I have never, ever heard, gotten reported or experienced any MAS'C or Filter related bug at all, not in the 1,5 years I have been using it!
:shock: Ahem, may I draw your attention to the following, quite recent 'bugs':

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6866
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6820

However, my all time favourite, in light of what you just said is:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6434

which was started by a certain Lestradae - a relative, perhaps? - with the title
'EQ_MILITARY_SCANNER_FILTER - oolite bug'

<twitch>
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
However, my all time favourite, in light of what you just said is:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6434
Yet it has NOTHING to do with the Jammer and Filter, as if you read the thread, you will read that it is an oolite internal bug:
>>The problem here occurs because the Military Scanner Filter is the last item in the original equipment.plist. <<
Thus, if you remove the Jammer and Filter, that bug will show up with some other equipment piece, most probably one that almost every commander has ;)

As to my request about the cloak: Yes, it turns out that it was the behaviour of the MASC switching itself on and off without giving messages about this and thus me wondering why the energy would go up and down while cloaked. It's not a bug, it was just the missing hints about what happened.

I solved it by removing the auto-enable for players, adding a key to toggle the MASC and give messages to the player when it's manually switched on/off as well as when it's automatically switched off ;)

Thus, all three threads have NOTHING to do with wrong behaviour of the MASC...people also very often ask about strange situations with other equipment, right? Thus, if every piece of EQ which has raised questions would be removed because it's trouble, then which eq would we still have? ;)

Screet, who really can't understand that there's not yet a mission oxp which has a story which includes and rewards the Jammer and Filter
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

We-ell ...

It is not sure of number 1 if it was a MAS'C bug that was observed.

Number 2 was an observation by Screet that if an energy-consuming MAS'C is run on a ship with not enough energy, that ship will get problems with its energy. OK, maybe I should add to the upcoming OSE manual that the MAS'C shouldn't be used on ships with an energy recharge below 4.

Point 3 is a little cosmetic issue.

Before there's twitching all around, seriously, I suggest the following compromise:

I continue to use the MAS'C and whenever anything strange might have to do with it, you point to me and say it's my fault. And I will say, yes it is. I use it though it's not supported. My bad.

I promise to never, ever file bug reports about this (again) and should serious problems with it occur, I'll take it out. Will also suggest this to other OSE-people.

The two items in question obviously were fully coded by Giles, and even while he himself didn't use them, he also didn't take them out again. There's no reason to. They are quite atmospheric, hardly game-breaking and do what they are supposed to do in 99% of all cases it seems.

I would really like to lay this matter to rest, I have no interest in pointless quarreling that might result. I have invested more than a thousand work hours into OSE in the meantime, but I don't want to waste a single hour with not being able to agree to disagree. Please? :wink:

I appreciate and respect the work of you devs and don't want to contribute to your workload if not absolutely nescessary. Keep that in mind really :D

L
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Nevertheless, if no-one had decided to use MASC & filter, none of those 3 threads would have ever existed. My understanding is that bugs connected to those 2 pieces of equipment, cosmetic, .plist parsing & otherwise, will be dealt with only when a jammer & filter mission is ready, which will happen at some point after MNSR.

Chasing bugs that would only affect the game if jammer & filter are used can unfortunately contribute to our workload, expecially if it takes a while to figure out that the bugs are dependent on those 2 unsupported pieces of equipment.

Removing those two would take less time than writing this reply, and would also give us more time to concentrate on the equipment that was always supported. Of course, you're all more than welcome to submit bug reports on the actually supported stuff, as always.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)