Two Random Hits related questions.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Two Random Hits related questions.

Post by Obsidian »

Installed Random Hits to give me a career change from my miserly trading ways, but have a few questions.

1.) Does RH cause a slowdown in screen transitions such as witchspace jumps to new systems or after docking with stations? The pause is only a second or so, but the transitions were smooth before I installed RH.

2.) My lasers passed through the engine of a boy racer mark without hitting the boy racer; I had to aim at the peaked roof of the ship/ above the engine to terminate the poor boy. Is this a known/non issue (considering that RH and boy racers have been around for a while) or should I make a bug report? I figure this is something everybody knows about already or that it doesn't really matter.

Thanks.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

1) Each oxp installed will slow down the game slightly, not sure about RH specifically as i have quite a few oxps installed and witchspace can slow down quite a bit for me. Depending on how much loading needs to be done, might have something to do with using a solid state drive for me though.

2) Laser mis-allignment may have something to do with whatever ship your currently flying. I'm flying my own made S.T.E at the moment and fireing on ships at close range gives me this problem. Makes my ship in my eyes more endearing. My Dragonfly S.T however seems much more accurate but alas i can't remember if firing on a hatchling using this ship has these problems.
Last edited by Rustybolts on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Thanks to Svengali, the R_H script is well optimised, but it is a bit of a beast in length. I used Eric's Script Timer OXP to test it and it does take about 0.3 secs to run on making a jump. So no RH (shoudn't) on its own cause a noticeable hit on making a jump. But if you have a lot of OXPs with scripts installed all those fractions of a second will start to add up a bit. When you jump to an anachy you will though get a slow down caused by random hits as you jump in, as the Bar and asteroid cluster are being added. Shouldn't be too bad, but you'll probabley get a couple of seconds added to you jump time by RH when you go to an anarchy.

Not sure about the boy racers. There're just the bog standard ones in RH (a C&P of Murgh's orginal but with the Mark added as the pilot), so they should behave the same as the standard ones. It could be an Oolite bug, as Boyracers are really tiny ships. Boy Racers generally are a real pain to hit though! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

Thanks.