been re reading

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

been re reading

Post by phonebook »

hitchhikers g2tg for the umpteenth time, and would love to shoot down a vogon constructor fleet

or have the bistromathics driven ship!
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

You could paint your ship to look like Gianfranco Zola's junk. Equip it with an SEP. And then just sit right outside the station and shoot everything that comes out. Seeing as nobody expects to see a ship that looks like the twig and berries of GZ, the SEP field keeps you invisible to anyone looking for you, because you are SEP. Someone else's problem.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

and would be ace if magrathea was somewhere to go do the shopping- imagine the market there for minerals and metals and gold etc

or a trade in towels!

noooo i have it- the planet made from lost biros
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

phonebook wrote:
and would be ace if magrathea was somewhere to go do the shopping
Don't give L further ideas! We already can buy space stations! Do we really need to own PLANETS now? ;)

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Screet wrote:
Don't give L further ideas! We already can buy space stations! Do we really need to own PLANETS now?
:twisted:

<sauronic laughter>

I seriously thought about it. But even in the ultra-expanded framework of the OSE Ooniverse there are limits to what makes sense. The KillIt missile, for example, not even for 5 million creds at Oresrati. Or ships beyond 0.999 LS.

The most expensive station is 200 million creds. I assume you have to play for a decade until you can afford something like that, even if you trade yourself up with the help of less tycoony stationery. So how much would a whole planet cost? How many billions of credits?

If someone came up with a really good idea how to do this - in a meaningful way, mind you - I might be game :twisted:

</sauronic laughter>

L
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

The cost at a MINIMUM would be several times the value of the planet's yearly productivity. So figure you're talking probably on the order of 100 BILLION Cr on the low end.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
The cost at a MINIMUM would be several times the value of the planet's yearly productivity. So figure you're talking probably on the order of 100 BILLION Cr on the low end.
No!

Both Qudira and Maesin are Anarchies in Chart 1, each with a Productivity of 768MCr - I reckon these would be ripe for a forced take-over by some benign player Dictatorship.... (for sums many orders of magnitude less than your quoted figures)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here