Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Advanced Compass not working

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Advanced Compass not working

Post by Chrisfs »

My advanced compass isn't working despite it being ok on the F5 screen.

I fly into a commie system and use the \ key to 'look around', I see the bank, fuel station, astromine penal colony (bingo), then suddenly, to the lower left of the compass appears an anarchy like A symbol and the compass stops working. Within a few seconds of this, the group of blips on the radar turn red and start attacking.
I figure they must have damaged me and I didn't know it , so I fight them off and get to the base. My advanced nav array is damaged and I fix that, but my advance space compass was fine,
Yet when I launch from the base, the anarchy A is still next to the compass, the compass still doesn't move regardless of who the ship moves and the \ key still won't work.

I do have the missles and bombs oxp. Was this the result of a hit with a fancy missle?
Is it a bug, or am I just missing something? How do I fix it ?
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

This seems to have fixed itself by reload a save file, that was saved after it happened. strangely enough.
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Jamming/(in-game) 'Virus' affecting ASC?

Post by BlackKnight »

This has happened to me twice now, with two different saved games!

I've got one Commander with a Boa 2 (working towards something quicker and more hamburger-shaped) and one I've started from the excellent Tionve Pulsar OXP as I fancied a challenge ("Hmm, I'll try starting with lesss than the basic Commander Jameson - more of a challenge" I thought... now I remember how long it takes to 'earn' a decent ship! :oops: ) - both these have had the mysterious 'Anarchy' symbol affect their ASC and now I'm wondering if it's "deliberate"?

The Boa Commander has visited a Hacker outpost and it's the sort of thing I can imagine some four-eyed spotty treerat introducing to my ship "just for a laugh", but the other Commander (still flying the Cobbie 1 but with a few bolt-on bits added) hasn't been anywhere near the sort of place that moma accountants warn baby accountants about...

The problem disappears as soon as I jump out-system... at least until the next time it hits me. Not sure if it's a bug or a feature but on the whole I think I quite like it - adds even more flavour to the Ooniverse! But then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Since Oolite 1.73 the symbols and icons in Oolite's font can be used as beacon codes. This is a new feature, not a bug.

There is an OXP (probably more than one) which already uses some icon, but I don't recall which one. It is not Anarchies.oxp.

A freeze or crash when displaying a certain beacon symbol would certainly be a bug and should be reported in the Bug Reports forum. Just seeing a beacon symbol resembling the icon for an Anarchy system is perfectly normal, provided there is any ship or station in that system which uses this symbol as its beacon code.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Commander McLane wrote:
There is an OXP (probably more than one) which already uses some icon, but I don't recall which one. It is not Anarchies.oxp.
Fuel Station does, although it's not the anarchy symbol it' uses (it uses a nice little fuel pump symbol that _ds_ made when he did the proof-of-concept patch for the feature).

I have seen the anarchy symbol on my travels though, I think it's one of Frame's OXPs. But that isn't using the symbol feature either, the symbol is actually one of the characters available in the normal Oolite font.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Thargoid wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Fuel Station does, although it's not the anarchy symbol it' uses (it uses a nice little fuel pump symbol that _ds_ made when he did the proof-of-concept patch for the feature).
Um, I already wondered about that one - the fuel pump symbol is supposed to show up (instead of Beacon-F) with Oolite 1.73.4 and Fuel Station 1.24 when I have the Advanced Space Compass, right?
Because I always get Beacon-F on the compass...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yes it should. The F is the older (pre-patch) code underneath, but the patch _ds_ put into the trunk should enable the icon usage, and that was certainly in 1.73.4 iirc.
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

Commander McLane wrote:

A freeze or crash when displaying a certain beacon symbol would certainly be a bug and should be reported in the Bug Reports forum. Just seeing a beacon symbol resembling the icon for an Anarchy system is perfectly normal, provided there is any ship or station in that system which uses this symbol as its beacon code.
The ASC freezes front-'n'-centre with the "A" symbol as the current selected "destination". Everything else appears to be working properly, it's just the ASC refuses to 'point' anywhere else until I leave the system.
Is there anything that I should look for in the logs to see if I can find out what's causing this weirdness? Or is it just trumbles getting into the sauce... sorry, source code?

I haven't had all other ships onscreen (in scan range) turn red and attack me, nor have I had a fuel pump symbol for the fuel stations - I'm running build 1.73.4 with OXPs Fuel Station 1.24 and Fuel collector 0.06 (amongst others...) under Fista.

As previously mentioned, I don't think of this as being a bug, but more just another facet in the rich tapestry that is Real Life(TM)... no wait, I mean Oolite!! :oops:
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

BlackKnight wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Is there anything that I should look for in the logs to see if I can find out what's causing this weirdness? Or is it just trumbles getting into the sauce... sorry, source code?
Yes - errors :-) As CMcL has already said, please post your Latest.log and stderror.txt (if available). Maybe things will become a bit more clear then...
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

If I had any obvious errors that I can see causing this, I'd give 'em to you! In the absence of anything obvious, this is from my last session this evening. Stderr.txt is empty, and from Previous.log I give you:
  • [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning ("yah_station_facing" ): Entity.setOrientation() is deprecated, use entity.orientation = foo instead.
    [Fuel Collector]: Number of globes is 1
    [Pi-Forty-Two Con stores]: Adding constore with player exiting Witchspace
    [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning ("yah_station_facing" ): Entity.setOrientation() is deprecated, use entity.orientation = foo instead.
    [Fuel Collector]: Number of globes is 2
    [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning ("yah_station_facing" ): Entity.setOrientation() is deprecated, use entity.orientation = foo instead.
    [Fuel Collector]: Number of globes is 1
    [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception ("oolite-default-ship-script" 1.73.4): TypeError: this.owner.call is not a function
    [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ../AddOns/Kestrel&Falcon.oxp/Scripts/bweed-kestrelfalcon-falcon.js, line 22.
    [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception ("oolite-default-ship-script" 1.73.4): TypeError: this.owner.call is not a function
    [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ../AddOns/Kestrel&Falcon.oxp/Scripts/bweed-kestrelfalcon-falcon.js, line 22.
    [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ../AddOns/Kestrel&Falcon.oxp/Scripts/bweed-kestrelfalcon-kestrel.js, line 23.
    [dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
    [dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
    [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (<unidentified script>): Entity.setOrientation() is deprecated, use entity.orientation = foo instead.
Funny thing is, this 'session' didn't include any ASC lockups... :shock: Obviously this ain't the full Previous.log, just selected "highlights" that look (to me) at all useful for something (even if only demonstrating my complete lack of scripting knowledge :oops: ) - if anyone really wants the whole thing, is there somewhere I can put it so I don't waste everyone's bandwidth in this thread? There were a few repeats of these messages, but nothing else stood out as being an error.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Code: Select all

[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]:       ../AddOns/Kestrel&Falcon.oxp/Scripts/bweed-kestrelfalcon-falcon.js, line 22.
This looks interesting. It shouldn't harm your system, but who knows. Kaks is still around - maybe he can provide new scripts for this oxp. In the meantime you could try to remove the entries in shipdata (script = "bweed..."; ) and delete the scripts (or remove the whole oxp).
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Drats, I was hoping no-one had noticed! ;)

Ok, I'll dive in and replace that this.owner.call() with its 1.73.4 equivalent. BRB!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I just noticed:

Code: Select all

With 1.73 it gives these warnings in the log and with 1.74 it will stop working correct. I just uploaded a version 4.1 of the YOUR_AD_HERE.oxp to the wiki. Its not a big problem when keeping on using the 4.0 version, as the change only affects the intended orientation of the added con-stations.
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

Now that is what I call GREAT service - two problems solved that I didn't even know I had! The ASC 'lockup' hasn't reoccured so still no logs for that one I'm afraid...

Hope nobody minds if I take this opportunity to say a great big 'thank you' to the people who keep giving me (and everyone else here) such wonderful toys to play with...

Thank you
sectoid
Above Average
Above Average

Great, I can travel again.

Post by sectoid »

Thanks for the 4.1 update on YourADHere.

My problems with Oolite were solved when i installed it.

Thx, Man :)
- - end of transmission - -

'Mors Certa, Vita Incerta'