Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How do i find missions (fairly noobish)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

sAssIn
Poor
Poor

How do i find missions (fairly noobish)

Post by sAssIn »

Hello Ooliters, Im reasonably new to oolite but spent MANY happy hours playing elite on my old trusty C64 :roll: (small moment of nostalgic flasbacking) ive got to average and want to start some missions but im strugglin to find any :oops: can anyone help me find them please. I have already added quite a few oxp's, assassins,taxi,planet fall,monks and others but i still havent found any, apart from being offord trumbles,which by the way made me wet myself :lol: but didnt accept cuz i watched star trek and know how dangerous they really r :P

I tried askin people on the other side of riedquat but they werent very friendly :P
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Like all goodness - In the WIKI :lol:
sAssIn
Poor
Poor

Post by sAssIn »

Many thnx to the quick reply (you really are the friendliest this side of riedquat : lol : ) i did of course read SOME of the wiki but it seems i always get side tracked on there :oops: but again thnx 8)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: How do i find missions (fairly noobish)

Post by Eric Walch »

sAssIn wrote:
I have already added quite a few oxp's, assassins,taxi,planet fall,monks and others but i still havent found any, apart from being offord trumbles,which by the way made me wet myself :lol: but didnt accept cuz i watched star trek and know how dangerous they really r :P
You can forget assassins. That one won't do anything until you arrive in galaxy 7. It is just using cpu time for now. Better install asteroid storm, long way, taranis and ups-courier. All four will give you missions in the first galaxy. And when you get an offer to pursue a ship to an other galaxy, don't do yet, but first finish the first three mentioned missions. After that that ship will still be in the next galaxy.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

You could also try Random Hits as you are average, you'd qualify for the easy missions.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Hi sAssin,
I would say Random Hits is a must have for a constant source of missions in all the galaxys and has a neat ranking system (I'm a Judge. Dread me). It has 3 levels of difficulty, Average being about the lowest to Iorn Ass. Not to mention the extra trading at the seedy bars.
Local Hero is interesting for the occasional side mission. They start of fairly easy and get more difficult as you complete more missions.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

RH is awesome. I'm ranked The Great One. I take on level 2 and 3 contracts.

Also try out UPS. They offer the occasional hit contract on people they're not happy with.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commander Learner »

I thought there was something wrong with Localhero? :?
Shooting polygons since 2001
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Current released version isn't compatible with 1.72+. I believe the author is currently re-working it, and I want to say is converting the script to JS also, but I may just be being senile on that point.
sAssIn
Poor
Poor

Post by sAssIn »

I have 1.73, does it work on that ?? would definately like to try it..(must hav missed it wen downloadin all the other oxp's :oops: )

I like the argellion love monkey...which planet can i find them on??...its been a long journey in space, could do with some relief :wink: lol
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Commander Learner wrote:
I thought there was something wrong with Localhero? :?
Yupp, Localhero is out of order for a whole while now. I think v1.71.x were the last versions I've tested LH1.x in. I'm often using different approaches to get the result I want, a lot of workarounds and uncommon ways, not invalid, but uncommon. I've only (ab)used the ways the engine gave us. But have you read the changelogs of Oolite inbetween? A lot of the used ways in LH are not working anymore, and I've decided to rescript it completely. But the changes between v1.72-v1.74 are rendering the current status again useless (argh! 160KB js-scripts in LH2 with hundreds of interactions). I've developed a complete new screenhandling for this baby and can throw it away now. And v1.75 will maybe even change the way for missionscreens and this means not only to change/restructure scripts, it possibly also means to change a lot of artwork(?).

For me it is then >70 scripts, >40 AIs, >60 background-images, >80 textures and >40 shaders in my oxps, so I'm currently a bit ...err... unmotivated, because I don't have a clear idea about the direction the engine will go for. Until I've reached this point I'll simply test some things. I'm not complaining, because all the mentioned and changed stuff makes sense, it only needs time .-) Oh - side note: additional >80 models, >40 musicfiles, >40 Sounds and >30 other plists. All in all ~500 files and with my personal templates, docs and other stuff >3.5GB. So it won't be next monday.
sAssIn
Poor
Poor

Post by sAssIn »

Left a note in my diary, it simply says ....... bugger

i suppose i can wait till tuesday then :P (which ever tuesday it happens to be lol)
which post board would be best to look up for release ? couldnt expect it to be posted ere after all :wink:
and if i started a random search ill get lost like i do in the wiki :oops:
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

sAssIn wrote:
Left a note in my diary, it simply says ....... bugger
i suppose i can wait till tuesday then :P (which ever tuesday it happens to be lol)
which post board would be best to look up for release ? couldnt expect it to be posted ere after all :wink:
and if i started a random search ill get lost like i do in the wiki :oops:
The best way to stay informed is to check the Expansion Pack forum. New releases will be announced there and LH2 will be placed there too when done. Usually the WIKI holds then a link to the latest version(s). Most oxpers will keep it up-to-date, but without knowing about releases (date and version) it is (specially for new users) a bit a "Sisyphean challenge" to pick latest stuff.

Rock on!
sAssIn
Poor
Poor

Post by sAssIn »

lol yes thats what i noticed when i started. i downloaded quite a few oxps only to find that i didnt need some of them due to other oxps combining them :oops: but i live and learn thanks to people like you :wink: cheers 8)
I left a note in my diary, it simply says .... bugger !
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Svengali wrote:
it possibly also means to change a lot of artwork(?).
Just wanted to say, if the RFC for mission screens takes shape the way it's being discussed, none of your artwork will need to be changed, honest!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)