Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Who has oolite-linux running?

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Do you have oolite-linux running?

Yes. I love it!
78%
No. I am running linux but I want to fight with Thargoids, not compilers and libraries :(
17%
No. I don't want linux and am waiting for a bootable CD
4%

Total votes: 23

dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Who has oolite-linux running?

Post by dajt »

I know winston and I have oolite-linux running, but does anyone else?

I made an assumption that if you have it running, you love it ;)
Regards,
David Taylor.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I get Tiger and a second HD to bolt into my G5 this week. Then I can install Ubuntu and Tiger and work on both.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Zorath
Average
Average

Post by Zorath »

I have Downloaded Ubuntu to try and see if I can get Oolite-Linux working :)

So far I onlu have vague ideas of what I need to do to make it work.. get GnuStep from where ever that lives on the net..
Make it so that it works...
downloade the oolite stuff..
make the oolite test app thingy to make sure Gnustep thing works...
make oolite and...

PLAY!!!!..... :)

I will like the last step best I think :) *grin*
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

aegidian wrote:
I get Tiger and a second HD to bolt into my G5 this week. Then I can install Ubuntu and Tiger and work on both.
That will be very useful - I'd like to know how well the port runs (especially sound since I made some assumptions about the endian-ness of how NSSound normalizes the buffer when it loads the AIFF - however, I suspect it'll Do The Right Thing; I think AIFF is normally a big-endian format, but the buffer we get at least on Intel hardware is made to be little-endian which means we don't have to swap bytes when manipulating it).

If Ubuntu has a GNUstep package it'll also be interesting how it runs with the already-packaged one. The only trouble is if you've got NVidia graphics or certain ATi graphics cards, there are only closed source x86 drivers available :/

In other news, at least 7 people have downloaded the package of berlios.de, I think, so there's hopefully a few others.
Zorath
Average
Average

Post by Zorath »

Hmmm slight hickup in my plans... Unbuntu would not start :( well at least the 'live' cd version..

wonder if its my PCI Express graphics card (Ati X600)

or serial ATA..

Hmmm.. Soooo.. I guess I will try something else..
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

You can always try Knoppix as an installer - if you install it to hard disk you can apt-get update/apt-get upgrade to bring it up date too.

I think PCI-E (or is it PCI-X?) was only recently supported (as at 2.6.10?). Unfortunately, ATi aren't very good about supporting Linux - this is why I'll only buy nVidia graphics cards because at least they do a reasonable job of supporting my chosen platform (I do not have Windows installed anywhere at home). If ATi improve their support, I'll consider them, but not until.
Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

As for myself, I'm having trouble even getting GNUstep-base to complie... Loads of pointer conversion errors - presumably because it's 64bit AMD. I shall try it on the ancient Pentium 3 (which I haven't even turned on in about six months), but it will be with a certain amount of relectance that I do so, since that machine only has a 64MB graphics card in it.
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"
tgape
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tgape »

So where's the poll option for "No, I'm too busy fighting *other* compilers and libraries?"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Still out in the woods on this one...

And I'm sure it's me doing something over-obviously wrong, grrrr...

Peole telling me installing it using synaptic (debian/ubuntu) works without a hiccup, but here it does not...
Probably because I installed older versions, and only halfway etc etc...
And now synaptic throws me a 'will not install terminal' unsolvable dependency, huh?
Apt-get install same...

why does it need an app called terminal, which it won't install, huh huh huh? *brain explodes* terminal? how many terminals are there??? This makes no sense...
Ian Malone
Poor
Poor

Post by Ian Malone »

Running, although I haven't patched the GNUstep XML yet. I was slightly suprised to see stations rotating the opposite way to I remember in Elite Plus (although not suprised enough to crash). No sound, there's some message about being unable to set the requested buffer size, but I'm not at my machine atm.

What keys quit/save? (Or is this something I need the XML patch for, I can see a .plist file with references to dtd) Might also explain why other ships don't seems to do anything...

BTW, festival under linux is a just-about-endurable speech synthesizer.

GNUstep source download with a home directory install seems fairly reliable (I tend to put stuff like that in /home/ian/opt/).

Nice to finally see oolite running on a mainstream os :wink:
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

From a friendly chap caled Nikola on the Ubuntu-fora:
Yeap, GNUStep has it's own terminal, called Terminal
My problem was that XFce4's terminal app is also called Terminal, so GNUStep overwritten it. You can live without GNUStep's terminal.
Woohoo, I guess installing GNUStep from XFce4 is just asking for trouble, and that's eggs-actly what I attempted...
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Ian Malone wrote:
Running, although I haven't patched the GNUstep XML yet. I was slightly suprised to see stations rotating the opposite way to I remember in Elite Plus (although not suprised enough to crash). No sound, there's some message about being unable to set the requested buffer size, but I'm not at my machine atm.

What keys quit/save? (Or is this something I need the XML patch for, I can see a .plist file with references to dtd) Might also explain why other ships don't seems to do anything..
You don't need to modify your GNUstep - I have not patched my GNUstep install and it runs great on my machine (including AddOns). GNUstep just whinges it can't get the DTD and the document is not valid, but it still loads the plist files anyway. If it didn't the game wouldn't even run because pretty much everything is specified via those plists.

What sound card do you have? I just made a stab of a guess at what would be an acceptable buffer size - it's likely that your sound card has a really miniscule buffer - I think I'm only asking for 4K. There are ALSA calls that set the buffer size to the nearest possible value to the requested (I'll look at that tonight since it's now a known problem), so I'll do battle with the appalling ALSA docs again :/

Quit/save is on the F2 menu and only available when docked.

I will eventually add the Cmd-keystrokes (so Cmd-Q quits, or on most PCs, that'll be Windows-Q, but I have an Apple keyboard on my PC :-))
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Ian Malone wrote:
Nice to finally see oolite running on a mainstream os :wink:
...ooo...ooo...ooo.. someone hold me back..... no...it's no good...

....bbblbllllllllluuuuuurrrrrrggghhhhhh... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
mterlouw
Harmless
Harmless

Post by mterlouw »

Been too busy fighting mythtv, but if this is playable now, I'll probably give it a shot.

Thanks for the hard work you guys have put into it!
Ian Malone
Poor
Poor

Post by Ian Malone »

Quit/save is on the F2 menu and only available when docked.
Found it. Another Elite Plus thing; there F12 gives you the option to quit immediately (far too easy, quitting Elite should be demanding). Notes on sound in the "New beta:" thread.

Generally over the moon that this works. Will be rooting through the source this weekend to make stations spin the other way though.[/i][/quote]