Naughty trading question

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

virgopunk
Above Average
Above Average

Naughty trading question

Post by virgopunk »

Is there any logic behind the price of drugs? If you buy a load at a silly price where would be the best place to off load them. I keep thinking it should be rich industrial type worlds but sometimes they're even cheaper than what I, sorry I mean what my friend paid for them :wink:
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"You ask a glass of water!"
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

A better question would be, is the profit from running drugs worth the offender tag you'll get stamped with?

It's better to keep your trading strictly legit. Although, contraband can be scooped and sold without legal risk.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
virgopunk
Above Average
Above Average

Post by virgopunk »

Hmmmm, not sure I agree there. I have successfully sold a hold full of Spice at a ridiculous profit and managed to deal with the fall-out with GalCop on quite a few occasions. I'm just asking what the pricing logic might be! :) :?:
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"You ask a glass of water!"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Virgopunk.

The “Spice” market is easily the most volatile. It’s the only commodity that you can make c100Cr/t profit on, AFAIK.
But you can easily come a cropper, and often do. As for the logic, I suspect it’s designed to tempt chancers; a way to make big bucks early on to buy kit (if you can take the heat). It’s a “cargo of opportunity” at best, when you need to make some cash fast. Not a good career choice.

As to which systems are best to buy and sell at, you pay your money and you take your chance.
Even if you think you’re good enough to handle the GalCop Vipers almost continuously, the trade is too irregular to pay.

BTW, rumours that I occasionly run “Spice” are greatly exaggerated.

However, good luck.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

virgopunk wrote:
Hmmmm, not sure I agree there. I have successfully sold a hold full of Spice at a ridiculous profit and managed to deal with the fall-out with GalCop on quite a few occasions. I'm just asking what the pricing logic might be! :) :?:
It's possibly to safely buy them at non-system stations like bars, trade outposts and such. Only launching from a system station with them in your hold will lead to a legal status.

Thus you even can play a clean drug trader! ;)

However, as far as I know, the pricing scheme is completely random.

Maybe the idea is that some drugs are agricultural in nature while others are chemical, thus there's no safe guess as where they would be produced or demanded.

Screet
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

You don't need to dock with a station to get prices. Once you are in the system, F8 will show you the prices, if you don't like them, head out to the sun and fill up for free (if you have fuel scoops, heat shielding never hurts) and go elsewhere.