assigning cargo to script-added ships

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

assigning cargo to script-added ships

Post by Commander McLane »

Quick question: What is the recommended way to give cargo to ships generated by a script through a custom role?

The wiki seems to suggest that max_cargo and likely_cargo only work for ships spawned by the system populator. So what do I do for ships added by script? Do I have to spawn: cargopods in their death_actions, or is there another way?

And on a related note: How does cargo_carried work, anyway? Is it used in the shipdata-entry of a ship, or in the entry of a cargopod only?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Personally I would set the cargo to zero in the shipdata.plist, and then spawn in the script using this.shipDied event. Look at the pods from the Conger or the Hammerhead's sleds in Aquatics for examples.

Or if you want a single item of specific cargo, look in the set-up for the cloaking device mission (script and shipdata.plist entries).

And if I remember correctly cargo_carried goes in the ship's list entry, and defines what's in the cargopod(s) (or metal fragment(s) etc) that gets spawned when the ship dies.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Sometimes NPCs also drop cargo pods when attacked. I'll need to look it up properly, but I think that cargo_carried is used for those too...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)