Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

mine sweeper satellite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

mine sweeper satellite

Post by Chrisfs »

I have recently run into mine sweeper satellites. I can't find any reference to them in the wiki.
What are they ?
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: mine sweeper satellite

Post by pmw57 »

Chrisfs wrote:
I have recently run into mine sweeper satellites. I can't find any reference to them in the wiki.
What are they ?
Try here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Powers ... r_Facility
Today it is common to see as many as 30 ships powered down in the vicinity of the Repair Facility, whilst work crews perform repairs. As such a large number of ships would provide a tempting target for a BoyRacer with a Q-Mine; the yard is defended by a field of Mine Sweeper Satellites. These devices target active Q-Mines, destroying their working components with an EMP burst before they can detonate. It is rumored though that the Defense Network is not infallible.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

There is an ¢8500 solution to this menace, available at the better ship outfitters, which although effective does encounter retaliatory measures from time to time. Those counter-counter-minesweeper tactics -- rated "quite unfair" in the assassin/pirates' handbook of ethics -- may often be countered, however :evil:
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I was temped to ask if pirates actually had ethics. They do try to kill you for your haul, after all. Then again, it's nothing personal, they just want your cargo.
And pirates rarely use q-mines anyway. Q-mines don't leave cargo behind.

Nothing personal for most assassins, either. They're paid to kill you, and only do it for a huge sum. Assassins rarely deploy cascade weapons either; assassins usually aren't paid if they create massive collateral damage.

Which leaves long-haul traders trying to defend themselves, mercs paid to fight a war, psychopaths, and terrorists. For them, a q-mine delivers maximum boom for minimum effort.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor