Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Noobish graphics question

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

virgopunk
Above Average
Above Average

Noobish graphics question

Post by virgopunk »

Firstly, greeting all. I'm so glad I read a recent Guardian article about Elite's anniversary otherwise I'd never have known about Oolite. I'm in nostalgic heaven! I was amazed I could still dock at a Coriolis after 24 years away from the Cobra MkIII :lol:

I have a quick question that I hope you might be able to help with; I play Oolite on a Lenovo T43. It's got 2GB of ram but graphics-wise it uses an integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900. Now to me it looks pretty basic and doesn't give much oomph. What I was wondering was wether my laptop could handle the newer shading models etc without grinding to a halt?

Thanks for any advice.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hi virgopunk, and welcome to the boards! :D

Intel graphics chipset drivers are known to have some shader issues.. however, apparently the latest crop of drivers are much improved.. I'd suggest going to Intels driver download site and see what you can find for your machine.. here's the link..

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

Oh yes, they also have a very handy tool available to help ID Intel chips.. might be useful..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
virgopunk
Above Average
Above Average

Thanks!

Post by virgopunk »

That's very good advice. I'll give 'em a whirl and see where I get to.

Thanks again Diziet.

Catch you on the flip side.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

@virgopunk
You have to allow a minimum of 24bit depth for "Depth Buffer Bit Depth":
  • Right-click the desktop and click "Graphics Properties..."
  • Click on "3D Settings"
    Note: If this button is missing, you may be using an OEM driver. Download the latest driver from Intel.
  • Find the attribute "Depth Buffer Bit Depth" and select "24 Bit Depth Buffer"
    Note: Some cards may allow "32 Bit Depth Buffer". However, if memory conservation is a concern, 24-bit depth is sufficient.
  • Press OK for both windows. Restart oolite if open.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
virgopunk
Above Average
Above Average

Even more thanks!

Post by virgopunk »

That's brilliant. I'll be updating my drivers tonigt and seeing what I can do.

Cheers again :D