Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Tweaks to autosave?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Tweaks to autosave?

Post by Kaks »

It looks like autosave is not particularly helpful as it is at the moment: immediately after dying at least two people tend to launch their ship, and autosave gets overwritten with a fresh jameson.

I'm thinking that maybe having more than one autosave file might not be a bad idea. We could have autosave, then autosave2 ...

The thing is, if it's good to have 2 autosave files, maybe it's even better to have 3 of them!

How many autosave files should we actually have?
Or is there a better way to handle this problem, and I simply haven't thought of that yet?

Any advice gladly appreciated!

:)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

How about not autosaving on the first launch after a game restart? If not that, then I think a maximum of three autosaves is more than enough. Even two is good enough, actually.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Tweaks to autosave?

Post by Svengali »

Kaks wrote:
How many autosave files should we actually have?
Or is there a better way to handle this problem, and I simply haven't thought of that yet?
Only one autosave :-) Players can store their savedgames under different names (MYNAME1, MYNAME2) to avoid losing their status. The quicksave is also very helpful - so, I think, no need for more autosaves (or how many ways of storing do we need?).
another_commander wrote:
How about not autosaving on the first launch after a game restart?
Second that. Good idea.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Why not have autosave's (file)name linked to the Commanders name. That way unless you're flying along and still named Jameson you won't over-write (as the new fresh commander will be Jameson and not whatever you normally fly as.

Also it will save the slightly embarrassing situation of being hailed in game as Commander Autosave :oops: ;)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
Why not have autosave's (file)name linked to the Commanders name. That way unless you're flying along and still named Jameson you won't over-write (as the new fresh commander will be Jameson and not whatever you normally fly as.

Also it will save the slightly embarrassing situation of being hailed in game as Commander Autosave :oops: ;)
I like this idea.. I kinda wondered why it wasn't this way anyway..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

After not-so-careful consideration I've decided that my initial idea was rubbish.

Changes made to autosave:

Autosave won't kick in immediately after restart, so pressing 1 instead of 2 after dying won't mean overwriting anymore.

The autosave name is now 'CommanderName (autosave)'. Anyone with parallel careers - or a tendency to die prematurely - autosave won't mix your commanders anymore.

While I was there, I finally found out the reason for ( & fixed ) that slightly annoying 'forward view / game saved / forward view' graphical glitch when leaving stations & autosaving.

Since they correct usability problems, these changes will be in both maintenance and trunk

We now have a slightly less embarassing autosave name, but you're all actively encouraged to only use autosave aliases for just the briefest of time! :)
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Thargoid wrote:

Also it will save the slightly embarrassing situation of being hailed in game as Commander Autosave :oops: ;) [/color]
What's wrong with Commander Autosave :roll:
Commander Hemlock
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Beats me! Maybe it's an obscure Thargoid insult... ;)
Neverlast74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Neverlast74 »

suggestion: after I die - I see the load menu - instead of getting respawned as Jameson Lave with 100credits. (who needs that??)
if this is the case then autosave will be a something I use because I save before I leave space station (last thing I do) - so I would leave with F1 after respawn. - > autosave overwrite.

thx for reading.
------
old amiga verteran coming home.... sara
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Err, to repeat myself: the changes already in trunk as of Sunday: F1 after respawn, no autosave overwrite.

If before pressing F1 you buy cargo, (or buy/sell equipment) autosave will now create / overwrite Jameson (autosave) instead of overwriting Neverlast (autosave): no more Commander Autosave, to spare Thargoid & Diziet Sma's feelings...

Plus, as of last night, we seem to have reversed a snafu we made 'a few' moons ago. While using trunk, after dying you should be restored automatically to your last saved commander, just to make life a little bit easier...

A word of caution, use trunk at your own risk. It's great to check out/provide extra feedback on upcoming features & bugfixes, but it shouldn't really be used for playing. The good news: the autosave fixes have already been committed to maintenance, and at the rate we're going, we might even have Oolite 1.73.5 in the not-too distant future... :)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
A word of caution, use trunk at your own risk. It's great to check out/provide extra feedback on upcoming features & bugfixes, but it shouldn't really be used for playing. The good news: the autosave fixes have already been committed to maintenance, and at the rate we're going, we might even have Oolite 1.73.5 in the not-too distant future... :)
Interestingly, I just found out that where 1.73.4 is dying without any reports, the trunk version does not crash. Sadly, 1.73.4 has great performance while the trunk version only gives me 4 FPS ?!?!?!?

I think that going back to the last saved commander automatically after death is the best solution to the autosave problem anyway ;)

How about also autosaving the player when he's docking (maybe two autosaves in that case, named for last launch and last docking). There are good reasons to request that:
On several occasions I had survived a horrible battle just to be force-launched due to some thargoids outside and then my turrets made me a fugitive.
On some other occasions, especially recently, the game (1.73.4) did crash shortly after docking, before I did save myself.

Screet
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
Plus, as of last night, we seem to have reversed a snafu we made 'a few' moons ago. While using trunk, after dying you should be restored automatically to your last saved commander, just to make life a little bit easier...
And what about the quick-save feature. Its not working anymore since 1.71. (At least not on a mac). Before 1.71, when using it, a copy of the commander was saved in memory and that copy was loaded on death.

I used it often but since 1.71 I end up with a Jameson so I stopped using it.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Eric, that 'Plus...' applies to quicksaves too. Any type of saves, actually. Do try it in trunk, and tell me what you see! :)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
Eric, that 'Plus...' applies to quicksaves too. Any type of saves, actually. Do try it in trunk, and tell me what you see! :)
I flew to the neighbouring system, docked, did a quicksave, launched, flew into the station and guess? I was still at that neighbouring system. :P

So yes, it is working perfect again. And I am happy again. :D :lol: