Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Can't get that Caduceus!!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Can't get that Caduceus!!

Post by Commander Learner »

Hi Pilots,Traders,Miners,Bounty Hunters,Reserve Pilots,Pirates etc...

I got the Caduceus OXP,but i can't seem to be able to get it. I know the chance is 0.1, but when i set it to 0.5, i still couldn't find it. The tech level has already been set to TL4...but i still don't see it for sale.

How did you all get it without going through 654785 different systems?
Can i edit it to make it appear at the shipyard with a high chance?

BTW, does the Caduceus have the auto-targeting plasma cannons like the Hammer of Sorrow does?

Regards,
Commander L,
Really wanting that Caduceus...
Shooting polygons since 2001
Chaky
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Chaky »

set chance to 1 (100% chance)

also, check the log if it is getting loaded at all.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Following on from what Chaky said, did you hold shift down when you booted Oolite after installing the OXP? If you haven't done that, odds are the games cache hasn't cleared to acknowledge the existence of the OXP.

You shouldn't need to change the chance at all, unmodified the caduceus appears quite frequently in the systems it is supposed to.

Alternatively - if you're that desperate to have the ship, just alter your save game file.

Question - is it possible to take the setting for chance of a ship appearing in a shipyard below 0.1 say to 0.05 or will weird stuff happen? While the Caduceus on my machine has already been hit by the nerf bat, it is still a fairly potent combat vessel and I'd like it to be a rare treat to see it for sale in game.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Plasmas will lock onto whatever you happen to be locked on to at the time (if it's hostile and in range "ca-blamo"). If you have;

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... t=autolock

as the cannons take out one ship they'll cycle onto the next. WARNING: auto lock doesn't break off lock (as far as I know) at anything other than max range, so it's quite possible to be locked onto a target BUT be out of range of the turrets. This will render your turrets useless until you;

A) Lock onto a near target.
B) The existing target comes into range,
C) The targeted ship goes completely out of range. "Target losed"

Hmm I may have to take a look at that maybe come up with a dog-fight autolock if Thargoid doesn't mind of course. :)

Oh neo-caduceus (the successor oxp is downloadable below) You'll be looking for the caduceus omega. Check out the wiki for more information.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The chance key only sets the chance of the ship being offered for sale with additional equipment being fitted, not the chance of the ship appearing. The chance of seeing a particular ship being offered for sale is determined by the number of player ship OXPs you have installed. Oolite will populate the shipyard with x number of ships and 'deals out' the ships from th 'cards' in the deck. If you only had one player ship OXP installed, then everytime Oolite picked a ship from its deck there'd be about a 1 in 15 chance of it being the OXP ship (as the only cards in the deck are the native ships plus the OXP ship). BUT if you have RS (or a load of indiviual player ship OXPs installed) then there may be several hundred cards in the deck!

The quickest way of getting hold of a particluar ship is to reduce its available tech level (this basicaly means its card only goes in the deck if the tech level is met) and take out all OXPs except that one. Fire up Oolite and fly about a bit and it'll come up for sale fairly soon. Buy and put the OXPs back in.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Nuts, I was hoping there was a way to reduce the frequency with which certain ships appeared for sale beyond setting the TL.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think you can also add conditions in the shipyard.plist (eg only in a particular galaxy or galaxy, or certain govenment types, even player legal status / kills or that mission variables have to be set etc), but unless you set conditions, then the ship goes in the 'pack' with all the others.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Thanks LB, I'm sure there are a few examples of that in OXPs I can look at for inspiration.

*edit*

For the record it does say on the wiki about the shipyard plist that the chance value:
Affects the likelihood of the ship appearing in the shipyard, and also the likelihood of extra equipment being fitted. The difference between the local tech level and the ship’s tech level also factor into this.
So if the chance only does the latter rather than the former, this needs to be updated.
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

I never had significant problems finding a Caduceus in Gal 7 - I got one several months ago, but understand it has been significantly powered down in the recent OXP (at least the stats on the wiki page are lower that they were a while back). The one I have has auto targetting plasma cannons.

Anyone know what the specs are for the caduceus-omega?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

ClymAngus wrote:
Hmm I may have to take a look at that maybe come up with a dog-fight autolock if Thargoid doesn't mind of course. :)
Nope, he doesn't mind at all ;)

Specifically the autolock will happen only if a ship attacks you, and you don't currently have anything locked into your targetting system. It works as long as the ship is in the scanner range, so quite possibly would cause problems with turrets (as it was actually designed simply for the targetting enhancement, as I got fed up with having to work out which way to spin the ship when something was chewing my aft off to lock onto it so the arrow thing would point at it).

Limiting the range would be quite simple to do (additional in-script check that the distance between the target and the player ship is <5km). But as you say, even with the current version, just press U to unlock if it locks onto something wrong, then lock onto your closer target for the turret in the normal way.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Pansen wrote:
I never had significant problems finding a Caduceus in Gal 7 - I got one several months ago, but understand it has been significantly powered down in the recent OXP (at least the stats on the wiki page are lower that they were a while back). The one I have has auto targetting plasma cannons.

Clym once again bows to public pressure :) (not you, but the too powerful brigade)

missile slots, reduction in cargo space but the sunguns remain unchanged power wise (they are still ass kickers). I'm working on a turret stripped down fast version with ablative armour but that's still very much on the drawing board. (Oooo are people going to hate the ablative armour)

Alternatively crack the oxp bring up two copies and compare like for like they should all be in the same order on the xml.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Pansen wrote:

Since I tweaked on it, the flight stats for the Alpha and Omega variants are the same, though as noted tuned down a bit from original.

The difference is, the Omega has less cargo, yet is better armed with side laser mounts, heavy turrets top and bottom, and a couple of extra missile tubes.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

ClymAngus wrote:
I'm working on a turret stripped down fast version with ablative armour but that's still very much on the drawing board. (Oooo are people going to hate the ablative armour)
A fast version you say? :shock:

I've reduced the speed of the ship on my machine to just over 0.4LM in keeping with my balancing routine, 0.4LM is bleeding edge, anything above that is scarily advanced, which to be fair, is the Caddy through and through. Other stats (recharge, energy, cargo space) similarly reduced, to balance the ship alongside the core vessels, because the Turrets provide a big edge over non-turreted ships.

It is still a combat power-house, but no longer a reasonable cargo hauler as well. I figured all the internal space was taken up with engine, weapons and shielding. 8)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

@Sendraks,
Have you tried the latest version? The speed is down to .4LM, among other stat changes. There's a few surprises thrown into the mix as well. :)

This is a very rare occurrence: Not one Caddy cruising through a system, but two.
Soon after this shot was taken, I learned that the NPC Caddys were total pansies that wouldn't fight back. Bah!! So I gave then a custom AI with "tons o' nuts". They'll fight back alright. :twisted:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Ah, that is a big improvement over the original 0.45LM, awesome stuff.